3-Way Lighting Problems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am trying to replace my switches on my hall and landing with these.

2 Gang 2 Way White IQ Master Remote - Touch Dimmer (I have 1 of these)
1 Gang 2 Way Slave Dimmer (I have 3 of these)

Downstairs I have a 1 gang switch with Com, L1 and L2 controlling the downstairs light

Downstairs I also have a 2 gang switch with Com, L1 and L2 on one side Com, L1 and L2 on the other side controlling the downstairs and upstairs lights
(On this switch there is a small cable that runs from the com on one side to the com on the other side and only one com has a cable going out)

Upstairs I have a 1 gang switch with Com, L1 and L2 controlling the upstairs light

Upstairs I also have a 1 gang switch with 2 x L1 and 2 x L2 controlling the upstairs light

The problem I have is each new switch only has Live, Slave and Load. I can do this for most of the switches by putting Com to Live and L1 to Load and L2 to Slave.

What do I do with the upstairs switch that only has 2 x L1 and 2 x L2. I tried putting both the L1's to Load and both the L2's to Slave but it did not work.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Have you thought about learning how 2-way switching works, and how the switches are wired together, and then comparing that wiring with the diagrams in the instructions for the Master/Slave dimmers?

BAS is right, again.

The IQ/Varilight style of master/slave dimmers have avery specific way of being connected up/

If you are very lucky you MAY be able to re-arrange your existing wiring to suit their esoteric methods.
If you are unlucky you may need to chase some new cables in.

Compare the diagram that comes with the switches against the lighting drawings in the WIKI and your wiring at home.

HAve fun!

:)

This is what the diagrams say but it does not look like it matches the intermediate switch:

Using Master and Slave Units in 2-Way and Intermediate Circuits
2-way lighting circuits have two switches (intermediate circuits have 3 or more switches) turning the same lights on and off from 2 (or more) locations (eg. at the top and bottom of the stairs). In suitable circuits one of the switches will have a live wire connected. Replace this switch with a Master Dimmer and the other switch(es) with Slave Units to allow dimming from more than one location. Note: If your 2-way or intermediate circuit does not have three direct connections between the switches (as in the diagram) the circuit must be rewired using conventional "2-way" wire (red, blue, yellow & earth).
Master Dimmer: Connect the live wire to the terminal marked "Liveo" and the "load" wire to the terminal marked " ".
Slave Units: Must be wired to the Master unit as follows: "Liveo" to "Liveo", "S" to "S" and " " to " ".

Sponsored Links
Not does not match an intermediate switch
That is not how the IQ/VArilighjt system works. It does not work with conventional 2 way or intermediate switches.

Look at the diagram, It says MASTER SLAVE SLAVE SLAVE.........
Nowhere does it say "intermediate".

I thought that is what I said in my previous post.

You have to install an IQ/Varilight dimmer at each and every switch point.
First of all. follow my instructions. Look at your wiring and see if it is suitable.
Then, go and buy a master and as many slave dimmers as needed.
Then go wire it up according to the instructions.

OK, understand?
good. Have a nice day.

This is what the diagrams say but it does not look like it matches the intermediate switch:
Well it won't, because those master/slave dimmers are wired differently to normal switches. Simpler, really, in the way that you can go from just 1 master to having any number of slaves without changing anything already there.

These are the steps that you need to take:
  1. Learn how 2-way and 2-way & intermediate switching works - what the switches are actually doing inside, why they are connected as they are, what path(s) the permanent live going in takes through them to become the switched live going out to the light, and so on. You must acquire a genuine understanding of what's going on before you start to fiddle with things. Trying to do it by guesswork/trial-and-error, or by following instructions to put-this-wire-in-that-hole without actually knowing why is so not the way to proceed.

These will be useful:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back