2 way light switch problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone,

I have a question that i hope you can help with.

Upstairs I have a 1 gang 2 way light switch, and downstairs i have a 2 gang 2 way light switch. The upstairs switch only controls the upstairs light as you would expect, and the downstairs light switch can control both the upstairs and downstairs lights separately. As you would expect.

The wiring is quite old so all the wires are red.

Upstairs the red wires are attached to L1, L2 at the bottom of the switch, and COM at the top of the switch.

Downstairs there are 3 red wires attached at the top to (left to right) COM, L1, L2, and there are 3 red wires attached to the bottom (left to right) L1, L2, COM. I believe I am correct in assuming that the COM on the top is paired with the L1,L2 on the bottom and vice versa. So that only one of these groups affects the upstairs light, does that sound right? IF that is the case then i can clearly see which triple is connected to the downstairs switch for downstairs, and which triple is connected to the downstairs switch for upstairs.

What i really want to do is use two 1-way PIR light switches i already have in place of these two 2-way switches. Ideally the bottom PIR switch would activate both lights, but the top PIR switch would only activate the light upstairs. It would be no great loss though if both switches did both lights though i suppose.

Clearly 1-way light switches only have an "in" and an "out" and so I will have to either 1) terminate some spare wires somewhere, and/or connect more than 2 wires to an "in" or an "out" somewhere.

Can anyone tell me which combination to try!!!

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Will

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back