Convert from a two way to one way light switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

My upstairs lights can currently be controlled by a switch downstairs and upstairs. I want to connect the downstairs wires so that only the upstairs switch can control the upstairs light.

By my reckoning, with the downstairs switch I want to connect the red wires together (Com & L2) and cap off the black wire in L1.

With the upstairs switch to have this switch the upstairs lights, would I then need to leave COM in and independently cap 1 wire from L1 and one wire from L2?

There is also a black wire on lower conduit cable 2 in the the upstairs switch box (circled in red). Should I cap that off?

Thanks!
T

Upstairs.png

Downstairs.png

Reactions: CBW
Sponsored Links
Why do you want to make the downstairs switch redundant ? You could leave it as is and just use the upstairs switch ?
By the way ,the switch plate should be earthed and it isn't.

• Thanks
Hey! Reason is I am running smart bulbs in the upstairs hallway so don't need the physical switch downstairs and I want to replace the downstairs switch to a smart dimmer just for the living room lights

1703953486784.png

I have marked the black wire to go to L2 or L1. It would normally be L1 but your switch is upside down.
So either to L2 or put the switch the right way up and to L1.
The red in the same cable as that black goes to COM.

The three other wires should be removed and put in a single connector block and connected to earth and the same at the downstairs switch.
This will show anyone else that they are doing nothing and will not be live.

Last edited:
  • Thanks
Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back