Wiring a 2 way switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Having problems wiring a 2 way switch. Here's the setup:

Upstairs there's a single switch which is wired as follows: Black wire in hole marked Com, Black wire in hole marked L1, Red wire in hole marked L2

The single switch upstairs and the switch on the right downstairs control a light on the stairs.

Downstairs there's a 2 gang 2 way switch. The switch on the left controls the kitchen light and is working fine. The switch on the right has 3 connections on the back: Common, L1 and L2. I have two wires coming in: black and red - how should these be connected to the switch in order for the light to work so that in can be controlled upstairs and downstairs?

Appreciate the help.

Sponsored Links
So what did you have there before?

What have you just added or changed which has stopped it from working?

It sounds as though you've got a twin & earth strapper linking the upstairs and downstairs switches, as per the top left diagram here: //www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:two-way-lighting, but if you had that before did it work before?

Is the upstairs light that this switch works, or is supposed to work, on the same circuit as the rest of the upstairs ones?

So what did you have there before?

What have you just added or changed which has stopped it from working?

It sounds as though you've got a twin & earth strapper linking the upstairs and downstairs switches, as per the top left diagram here: //www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:two-way-lighting, but if you had that before did it work before?

Is the upstairs light that this switch works, or is supposed to work, on the same circuit as the rest of the upstairs ones?

It's a new 2 way 2 gang switch downstairs. The old switch and new switch have a different wiring setup. The old switch used to work with the upstairs one in the desired way, but not sure how to wire the new switch.

Sponsored Links
well put it back then.. it's not there for decoration.. :rolleyes:

you need a live from the red wire in the other switch to the com on the stairs switch, then the red and black into L1 and L2 just like upstairs..

That was my first thought, but until we get an answer to this:
telling him to put the link back is irresponsible.

why? he has 2 core strappers and had it already set up with a live from the downstairs switch, we're just telling him how to swap the switch like for like..

it's already like that and so will remain that way..

the more important question would be is the new switch metal and does your lighting circuit have an earth?

well put it back then.. it's not there for decoration.. :rolleyes:

you need a live from the red wire in the other switch to the com on the stairs switch, then the red and black into L1 and L2 just like upstairs..

Sorted. Thanks for your help.

why? he has 2 core strappers and had it already set up with a live from the downstairs switch, we're just telling him how to swap the switch like for like..
True - I was a bit rushed in my reply - it was all still bundled up together in my mind with the possibility, at the time I first asked it, that the whole thing had just been installed

it's already like that and so will remain that way..
But should that necessarily be our best and only advice?

the more important question would be is the new switch metal and does your lighting circuit have an earth?
Another important question is how would people code a borrowed neutral on a PIR?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back