Volex 2 gang 2 way light switch replacement

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just replaced a light switch, I have removed the 2 gang 2 way dimmer switch which has the following symbol
L1 L2 Com top and (black wire in L1 and Red with black mark in Com)
Com L2 L1 bottom (Red in Com, Blue in L2, Yellow in L1

Now I have a Volex 2 gang 2 way(white plastic) with the following symbol
Top L1 L3 L2
Bottom L3 L2 L1
I tried to connect the wire as follow :
Top: Black in new L2 , Red in L1
Bottom: Blue in L3, Yellow in L2, Red in L1

now after connecting only the light in the living room is working not the upstairs, anywhere I made a mistake , need you guidance please

Sponsored Links
Yes you have wired it wrong.

Light switches are usually laid out like this:

some are laid out differently.

Look carefully, the switches are side by side, not top and bottom.

Also. comparing the two switches, the terminal markings are different:

OLD NEW

COM=L1
L1 = L2
L2 = L3

Confused? you should be...

Hi Taylortwocities, I have tried to re-connect, the light are back on but on the wrong way now , the living room light is now controllled by the switch down and up the stairs while before it was the light upstairs which was controlled by the switch down and up the stairs
I have attached photos from my album
the blue dimmer is what was in place, now I am replacing it with the white volex, the cables are out , trying to find out which wire goes where as the symbols are different
[/img]

OK, so the dimmer is the old switch.
From your first post you said
L1 L2 Com top and (black wire in L1 and Red with black mark in Com)
Com L2 L1 bottom (Red in Com, Blue in L2, Yellow in L1

Firstly, that dimmer hasnt got a COM terminal, its the wavy line, yes?

So , remembering there are two switches side by side per my diagram, and you can clearly see the diagonal line on the back of the VOLEX switch.

The left hand triangle. Put the black wire (with red sleeve) in L2 and its red in L1. If the switch operates the wrong way round, move the black to L3.

The right hand triangle Red>L1, Blue>L2, Yellow>L3

That should sort it.

Mind you don,t mix the reds up.. You have two cables there. One is a 2 core (plus earth) that is for the living room, the other is a 3 core+earth, and that is for the landing light.

Sponsored Links
thank you , it is really helpful, I was connecting wrongly top /bottom, I have now done the triangle way,

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back