Fitting
a. Brown
b. Blue
c. Yellow (earth)

I connected:
1 to A
2 to B
3 to C

but now when i put electricity on the lights stay on permanently regardless of switch position (only one switch for this light)

help !!

also the other fitting has no earth from ceiling where should i plug the earth from metal fitting ? Is it ok to connect to metal plate in ceiling ?

cheers!

Sponsored Links
Switch off at the fusebox, open the lightswitch, see what colour wires you have there, and which terminals they are connected to. Post the details and I'll try to help. Do you have a meter?

On the switch there is yellow on off position at top (hence ruling out chance that yellow is for the earth!) and at the bottom of the switch in on position is black and red. I've now reconnected with :

yellow from ceiling to brown on fitting
black on ceiling going to blue on fitting

This now works but where should earth go (and more to the point is this done right?)

thanks for your help!

Sponsored Links
I would guess that there is no earth wire in the ceiling. Strictly speaking you should add one if you are using a metal light fixture, however this may not be as easy as it sounds. The metal box you mentioned might be connected to a good earth, but don;t tke this for granted , especially in an older house. Good luck.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back