3-phase calculations shortcut

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
No - I am not branching out into commercial/industrial...

I need to explain to someone why 3-phase volt-drop figures are (SQRT(3))/2 of the single phase ones. (I hope I'm right that that is what they are..... :confused: )

I'm sure that with time I could work it out (well, sort of maybe sure), or find a website showing the calculations, but don't have that time right now.

Can anybody help me, either with the calculations, or pointing me at a web resource?

Sponsored Links
mmm 3 phase

you'll have to tell me what you are and aren't changing between the single phase calcs and the 3 phase ones before your statement makes any sense.

for a given conductor size and conductor current and assuming balanced load a 240/415V three phase system will have half the P-N voltage drop of a 240V single ended single phase system as there is no neutral current.

Pick any multicore table in Appendix 4, and compare the VD for 2-core single phase and 3- / 4- core three phase....

plugwash said:
for a given conductor size and conductor current and assuming balanced load a 240/415V three phase system will have half the P-N voltage drop of a 240V single ended single phase system as there is no neutral current.
Which of course is how we get to SQRT(3)/2 - if there was a neutral current the VD would be the single-phase figure x 1.732..., but with no neutral current it becomes S-P x 0.866....

Doh.
tontopallus.gif

Sponsored Links
ahh thier figures are based on the drop in the phase-phase voltage

makes sense now.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back