3 phase or one pase supply

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello everyone,

I am trying to find out if I have a one pase supply or a 3 phase supply so I can try to get a seperate meter fitted for my flat. Currently there only seems to be one. These are a couple of pictures I took of the electirc cupboard. There are three fuse boxes (one is out of shot, but only one smartmeter.

Is anyone able to tell me if I have a 1 phase or a 3 phase electric supply?

Many thanks

View media item 51113 View media item 51112

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
I want to fit another meter. I have been told I can only do this if there is a three phase supply.

Whoever told you that is not the one you should use for the subsequent wiring changes.

In most cases each meter should have it's own main fuse. It is not possible or wise due to cable capacity considerations to have 3 fuses on a single phase cable. So yes a 3 phase supply is often required.
The other option could be an additional single phase service but that depends on the DNO

In most cases each meter should have it's own main fuse.
What about all the dual-tariff installations with two separate meters.

It is not possible or wise due to cable capacity considerations to have 3 fuses on a single phase cable.
The way I read it the OP already has the flat and the <other place> on one supply, and wants the flat to be metered separately, which would not increase the demand.

The way I read it the OP already has the flat and the <other place> on one supply, and wants the flat to be metered separately, which would not increase the demand.

Looking at the photos there is a red & a black single going from the cutout to the left of the picture, that I would suggest goes to another meter (the one in the photo has grey singles). So I would suggest there is a second supply there

What about all the dual-tariff installations with two separate meters.

ah you are quite correct, my error, that would be still on one fuse. The principle still stands that one meter (normally) = one customer = one main fuse.

The decision on load is connected to the main fuse is still the DNOS

Looking at the photos there is a red & a black single going from the cutout to the left of the picture, that I would suggest goes to another meter
I hadn't bothered to look at the full size photos. :oops:

There are indeed red & black cables heading off somewhere.

I can try to get a seperate meter fitted for my flat. Currently there only seems to be one.
Jimmy - where do those red & black cables go?

Why are there 3 CUs?

What else is in the building apart from your flat?

The red and black cables go into a box thing (the ones painted white). Inside the box they feed into a big cable which heads out the wall, but appears to be cut off outside. (see the pictures)

Sorry, I'm not sure what you mean by CUs?

My buidings has four floors. the bottom floor is a takeaway. The first, second, third floors are flats. So the takeaway has a seperate front door and then the three flats share a door to the landing. The problem for me being that the three flats appear to share the same electric meter!

Thanks for all the help so far View media item 51200 View media item 51201 View media item 51202

The red and black cables go into a box thing (the ones painted white).
A box thing painted white?

Do you mean that disused Wylex enclosure on the left?

Inside the box they feed into a big cable which heads out the wall, but appears to be cut off outside. (see the pictures)
That doesn't look good, particularly as it's only protected by the service fuse and bypasses the meter.

Sorry, I'm not sure what you mean by CUs?
Consumer units.

My buidings has four floors. the bottom floor is a takeaway. The first, second, third floors are flats.
And you own/rent one of the flats?

So the takeaway has a seperate front door and then the three flats share a door to the landing. The problem for me being that the three flats appear to share the same electric meter!
Why is that a problem for you? Who pays the electricity bill?

Photos of things going from bad to worse.
You need an electrician.

I hereby exercise my constitutional right to change my mind. I hadn't realised there were 4 premises involved. You need an electrician to sort out that dodgy cable, and you need the DNO to do what they think is best regarding supplying 4 premises.

Looking at the building, do you think it possible that it was converted to a takeaway and 3 flats without anybody competent being involved?

Thanks sfor you imput. Yes! I strongly suspect the premises were converted into their current state by no-one with any cometence. I rent one of the flats, just moved in. My landlords told me that the electic meter was mine and thta the other flats had theirs inside. When I moved and went to take meter readings it looked to me that the meter was for all three flats! So I want my own meter installing.

There are four premises in the buildng, but the Takeaway is separate. They must have their own supply(?)

The thing painted white: I was referring to the red and black cables which are painted white and go into the Wylex box.

So my situation is looking dire?

Here is another picture
View media item 51208

I hereby exercise my constitutional right to change my mind. I hadn't realised there were 4 premises involved. You need an electrician to sort out that dodgy cable, and you need the DNO to do what they think is best regarding supplying 4 premises.
I'm sure you're right in concept but, given the circumstances, won't it have to be the landlord who gets it sorted, rather than the tenant of one of the flats? Also, will it not have to be the DNO (rather than an electrician) who sorts out that dodgy cable - which comes straight from cutout, prior to any meter?

Kind Regards, John

Thanks sfor you imput. Yes! I strongly suspect the premises were converted into their current state by no-one with any cometence. I rent one of the flats, just moved in. My landlords told me that the electic meter was mine and thta the other flats had theirs inside. When I moved and went to take meter readings it looked to me that the meter was for all three flats! So I want my own meter installing.
As I've just written, I agree with BAS. Given that the (white painted) red and black cables go 'nowhere' (and need sorting out!), the pictures certainly show four CUs ('fuse boxes') (two larger plus one small in the meter enclosure, one above it) all fed from the one (single phase) meter. As BAS has asked, why are there 3 or 4 CUs - the 'obvious' answer would be that there is one for each flat (maybe even one for the takeaway). Do you know if just one of them serves your flat?

Whatever, all of those CUs (and hence, possibly flats) are fed from the same meter - and if some of those do supply circuits in other flats, there can't be a further meter in their flats. As far as the supplier is concerned, one meter means one supply, one account holder and one bill - so I really can't see how that can be working. Who is the one 'account holder' who is getting and paying the bill?

I think you probably need to have words with the landlord in the first place, in an attempt to gain an understanding of what is going on.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back