3 Way Switch to 1 one way switch - just confused

Also run a green and yellow flylead to each of the metal light switches.

I can see that 'kitchen' switch has a cpc in the back box, just put a link between the back box terminal and the sw terminal. 1mm or 1.5

Sponsored Links
the dining room light would be the red and black in the middle of the room .. stick a switch on there ( the old one will do ) and see if it works then..

can you get access to the wiring in the ceiling? ( ie pull up some floorboards.. ) as I think a re-wire will likely be needed..

you want to be able to switch either light from either end? is that what you are trying to do? or just one light from each end?

if it's just one light from each end then I stand by what I said earlier..
put the red from the red and black in with the red from the 3C+E from the dining room switch, the black with the blue and leave the yellow seperate.. should work.. just make sure you have the right 3C+E.. if it doesn't work try the other one, they may have been in the wrong switch which might explain the strange switching you described..

the dining room light would be the red and black in the middle of the room .. stick a switch on there ( the old one will do ) and see if it works then..
Ok putting back to the orginal configuration in the dining room Both switches turn on the lights but the one in the kitchen makes them brighter if you go to turn them off and then pressing the switch the other way turns them off. They do not get brighter the other way round ie from the old switch.

can you get access to the wiring in the ceiling? ( ie pull up some floorboards.. ) as I think a re-wire will likely be needed..
No, not without completely taking apart all the upstairs as its chipboard flooring and there is a water-bed over the dining room!!!

you want to be able to switch either light from either end? is that what you are trying to do? or just one light from each end?
Both lights on at the same time from either end is what I'd like as it would be a 40ft walk each time to turn the dining room light on.

So somehow I need to link those two switches but I think I'm missing a cable. (Another red Black from the lounge end).

Thanks for all your help. Sadly though it may look like I have to get the electrician in for eyes on. Though they quoted over the phone between £180 - £210 to do it.

one in the kitchen? now hang on you never mentioned this before..

as for the chipboard floor, that's why they invented SBC's.. ( look in screwfix for Solid Board Cutter )

both lights from either end is doable.. we already got one light working that way.. we were just missing the dining room light weren't we? which should be the red / black you have in the middle of the room.. ( did you put a switch on JUST those 2 wires? )

If I was closer, I'd come and have a look.....

where in sussex? I'm bored.. I'll do it for £150.. ;)

Sponsored Links
one in the kitchen? now hang on you never mentioned this before..
The dining room switch is next to the kitchen switch in the photo
as for the chipboard floor, that's why they invented SBC's.. ( look in screwfix for Solid Board Cutter )
The bed is right over where Id need to cut I can bet.

both lights from either end is doable.. we already got one light working that way.. we were just missing the dining room light weren't we? which should be the red / black you have in the middle of the room.. ( did you put a switch on JUST those 2 wires? )
Yes I did put a switch on those two wires and that works the dining room lights as it should albeit with the brightness.

I know it's a pain, but any chance of a photo looking into the switch box at the kitchen end?
so that we can see where the wires come from..
it looks like the yellows are mixed up, but can't tell for sure..

ta..

I know it's a pain, but any chance of a photo looking into the switch box at the kitchen end?
so that we can see where the wires come from..
it looks like the yellows are mixed up, but can't tell for sure..

ta..

Looking into the box....

Have to get some sleep, lack off sleep and Electrics do not go well together.

yup, the yellows are crossed, that will be the cause of the dimming, swap them before you go to bed and report back...

sleep is for children and old people... ;)

need some grommets on those holes too...

All the light switches are metal! 17 of them. Nooooooooooooooooooo.
Please get an electrician in NOW.

Even if you do what londonboy suggests it will be useless as some (or all?) of the boxes are not earthed, and there's no guarantee that the circuit has an intact earth path back to the CU.

All the light switches are metal! 17 of them. Nooooooooooooooooooo.
Please get an electrician in NOW.

Even if you do what londonboy suggests it will be useless as some (or all?) of the boxes are not earthed, and there's no guarantee that the circuit has an intact earth path back to the CU.

I have arranged one to come and check but its next week

all the visible earths look fine to me besides the one that was the middle switch, but this looks likt the OP has stripped the cables back himself to put them in terminal blocks..

ok we can do this.. but it's going to be confusing so bear with me...

at the dining room switch, change the wiring to the following.. ( dining room only, don't alter the kitchen switch )

Com - Yellow
L1 - Red
L2 - Blue

now connect the wires in the middle red to red, yellow to yellow, blue to blue..

the switch wires in the middle should be connected red to red, black to blue.

this should now get your 2 lights working from either switch...

this should be sorted properly when your sparky comes and has a look but it will get you up and running for the time being..

ideally you should change the cable between the switches to one piece, and re-route the switch wire to the dining room switch..

Singing in the rain I am. It works!!! Tralallalla :D :D

And no lights getting brighter.

Many Many Thanks.

Do I join those short earth wires together as they are floating free tight now?

I checked all the other switches in the meantime and 7 of them have no earth wires at all! There is earth wire there but its cut off flush with the white sleeving.

Think the electrical inspector is going to have a field day.

Thanks again for all your trouble and patience. :D :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back