30A or 45A for cooker

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have recently started to renovate the kitchen and have a new range cooker. The cable that supplied the old cooker is a 2.5mm^2 which I assume to be 30A. I know that cookers should have a 6mm^2 cable. However after speaking to hotpoint they said maximum load would be 22.3A, from this it seems that the current cable would be capable of the full load.

Can someone give advice on if the current cable is OK? As replacing the cable would be a pain in the **** as the walls have just been replastered.

The cooker is a hotpoint EG902GX

Thanks

Reece :D

Sponsored Links
The cooker will need a circuit to cater for its power rating. You do not mention that. Would you care to share that with us please?

re
The cable that supplied the old cooker is a 2.5mm^2 which I assume to be 30A.
Not so. if it truly is 2.5mm² (how did you measure that?) then 20amp is the maximum cpd for that sized cable.

re
I know that cookers should have a 6mm^2 cable.
Per the above, that is not true. I just installed a range cooker, it required a 10mm² cable as it pulls about 50amps.

Are you in England and Wales. If so, please read the WIKI at //www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:part_p:diy_electrical_work_and_the_law

Methinks you need someone who knows what they are doing - probably not you.

Sorry I should of said the cooker has its own MCB, on a dual RCD CU. There are two other MCB's on with the cooker for the downstairs lights and the kitchen ring.

I was making short assumptions about the cookers needing 6.5mm as I know that cookers with 10kw+ of power will need 10mm.

But yes I should of realised that 2.5mm is 20A and 4mm is 30A. :rolleyes:

From this it looks like I have answered my own question. The wire wil need replacing.

Thanks for the clarity check Taylortwocities

Oh and I know it is notifiable under the regs so will get a electrician in.

Thinking about it, I might as well get a 10mm wire.

Sponsored Links
Seems a shame to have to go to the hassle of replacing a cable for 2.3 amps.

Manual says it's connected with a 2.5mm cable.

Thanks for all of the replies.

I think I will replace the wire to be on the safe side.

Who knows in a couple of years I am sure the misses will want to change to cooker again. :eek:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back