35mm fire door?

Sponsored Links
I've come across this at B&Q. It says it's FD30 but its only 35mm.
Actually it says "internal fire door" but doesn't quote the rating. Might be FD20, you never know....... That said it is possible to get 35mm flush FD30s, it's just that they aren't often a stock item with the merchants

1. Wonder if it comes with fire certificate?
Most of the fire doors I've fitted have been BWF standard and come with a sticker on the frame (see here - page 4). The manufacturers web site probably has the certificate on it but I doubt you'll get a nice shiny presentation certificate with each door!

2. Wonder if it comes with intumescent strip?
I've yet to see that. Intumescents are generally purchased separately because the rating/type (e.g. with/without cold smoke seal)/width/colour combination required for each installation is different. To fit you'll need a router intumescent strip cutter and the strips go round the door on 3 sides

3. Would existing (non FD30) frame be sufficient to meet fire regs?
Without knowing the individual circumstances that is impossible to answer. In public premises with planted stop laths it is often easier and better to remove the stop laths, hang a 44mm FD30s then fix new stop laths than to mess about with 35mm doors precisely because there are doubts over the fire rating of the casing. If in doubt talk to your local BCO - he's in a better situation to ask the appropriate questions and advise

Though less common you can get 35mm thick fire doors, it won't be an FD20 they don't make them anymore. it won't come with a certificate it will have a red dot or label or similar on the rear edge identifying it as fire door which must not be removed. You only need to fit an intumescent seal if the door needs to be smoke resistant too ie an FD30S rather than FD30. This is why fire doors don't always come with a rebate/seal. Normally Building Control will allow the existing frame to be retained though no idea if this is going in a commercial building, dwelling or for a loft conversion or what.

All here http://www.firesafe.org.uk/fire-doors/

Thanks gents. Good feedback.

I must question your powers of ESP though!

I'm doing a domestic loft conversion and need to replace doors on the ground floor and first floor.

It's all logged with planning and BC but I was just looking around to see what was available. I've found with BC that if I ask, they give me the rules and suggest a Rolls Royce solution, but if I tell them what I intend to do, we tend to find some mid-ground. (Naturally they're less motivated than I am to save my money, time and hassle! ;) )

So I guess i need to know if I need smoke protection as well as FD30 alone.

I'll have a good read of the fire advisory later too thx.

Sponsored Links
You only need to fit an intumescent seal if the door needs to be smoke resistant too ie an FD30S rather than FD30. This is why fire doors don't always come with a rebate/seal.
You seem to be saying that a fire door needs have no strip. Surely not. The "S" stands for smoke seal, i.e. a "brush" strip, but to meet FD30 or FD30s an intumescent strip must still be fitted. Most of the strips you can buy now are the combination brush/intumescent type, but there are still instances where single-function intumescent and brush strips are used and available, e.g. double doors on service risers, etc. I've seen these supplied in error when combined strips weren't specified

As to fire doors coming without a rebate/seal surely that is down to the fact that in new installations the strips are generally in the casing, not the door. To get the door pre-routed from manufacturers like JeldWen or Premdor I've always had to specify it as an extra presumably because they, too, work on that assumption

You only need to fit an intumescent seal if the door needs to be smoke resistant too ie an FD30S rather than FD30. This is why fire doors don't always come with a rebate/seal.
You seem to be saying that a fire door needs have no strip. Surely not. The "S" stands for smoke seal, i.e. a "brush" strip, but to meet FD30 or FD30s an intumescent strip must still be fitted. Most of the strips you can buy now are the combination brush/intumescent type, but there are still instances where single-function intumescent and brush strips are used and available, e.g. double doors on service risers, etc. I've seen these supplied in error when combined strips weren't specified

As to fire doors coming without a rebate/seal surely that is down to the fact that in new installations the strips are generally in the casing, not the door. To get the door pre-routed from manufacturers like JeldWen or Premdor I've always had to specify it as an extra presumably because they, too, work on that assumption

In domestic situations, I may be wrong but I recall that because smoke alarms are in the hallways rather than in every room if a fire broke out in a room and its door was a fire door with a cold smoke seal (ie brush) and the door was closed theoretically the lack of smoke would fail to reach the smoke alarm and would not set them off whereas what you want in a dwelling is for the smoke alarms to go off as soon as possible yet protect the escape route. Rebates are not put in doors because there is a whole range of different manufacturers providing slightly different seals as well as providing the opportunity to put the seals in the frames.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back