Internal Door for External Use

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys,

Im replacing all the doors in my flat and i have to replace a glazed upvc door that goes to a balcony with a 30 min fire door (fire regs compliance).

I want all the doors to be the same style if possible and iv settled on some Oak Effect Foil Veneer doors as shown in the link:

http://www.directdoors.com/door-fra...ors/interior-door-oak-effect-foil-veneer-p354

I would like to know if i could use the 30 min INTERNAL fire door version of this door for the balcony. the balcony is covered and the door is rebated so it doesnt really come into contact with rain as far as iv seen.

Does this sound like a problem?

I would like to know if there was anything i could coat the outside of the door with (considering its veneered) to make it waterproof just incase it does come into contact with rain.

please let me know your thoughts, thanks.[/b]

Sponsored Links
In addition to the possible/probably ill effects our wonderful climate will have on both the finish & structure, all new external doors have to meet a minimum standard for thermal efficiency to comply with energy conservation regulations; extremely doubtful that a door constructed for interior use will meet the regs. Replacement is also notifyable to your LABC unless you use a FENSA registered installer.

Are yes, i hadnt thought about the thermal point.

The BC officer will be inspecting my work so an ideas would have to be run by him first anyway.

would there be any kind of material that i could add to the outside of the door to improve the insulation properties and make it suitable for the weather conditions?

im only really bothered about what it looks like on the inside and keeping the cost down.

Thanks for the reply.

Iv checked with my BC officer and he says its ok to use an internal FD30 for my balcony and that it would comply with regs. i also asked about the thermal point and he said it wouldnt be a problem.

He even said he was expecting me to do that anyway as getting a 686mm FD for external use would be very difficult.

What would be good to coat the outside of the door with considering its veneered?

Sponsored Links
Iv checked with my BC officer and he says its ok to use an internal FD30 for my balcony and that it would comply with regs. i also asked about the thermal point and he said it wouldnt be a problem.

He even said he was expecting me to do that anyway as getting a 686mm FD for external use would be very difficult.

What would be good to coat the outside of the door with considering its veneered?
Well I’ve got to say I'm surprised at that; :confused: I wouldn’t have thought an internal, 30 minute door would meet thermal requirements but I wouldn’t know without checking; perhaps your BI isn't bothered. New external UPVC & composite doors & frames usually have integral weather seals around the periphery to prevent draughts; have you thought about how you’re going to do that! Or are you just going to live with the inevitable draughts?

Re the outside coating; use a quality yatch varnish (International) or a 2 pack varnish (Rustins if it’s still available). Also seal all around the outer door edge to help keep damp out of the carcase & or it’ll warp; it’ll probably happen anyway!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back