4 mm Laminate Glass

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I was thinking of replacing 4mm float window glass with either 6.4mm laminate glass or 4mm toughened glass.

Someone I have been in contact with mentioned 4mm laminate glass, which I hadn't heard of.

I know 6.4 mm laminate is two 3mm panes with a 0.4mm interlay.

If 4mm laminate exists, what exactly is this in terms of layers? Also, is it generally more expensive than 6.4mm laminate (or cheaper)?

Sponsored Links
Its 4.4mm and is mega expensive and as far as I'm aware does not meet regs in terms of critical areas, its made up of 2 x 2mm glass which is something you'd put in a picture frame and a .4mm polyvinyl butyral layer...pvb for short!

Crank is right.....more expensive than 6.4lami, which in turn is more expensive than 4mm Tough, It is indeed 2mm Clr /0.4 PVB / 2mm Clr.

Technically in small sizes it is still classed as safety ( due to the interlayer ) but I wouldn't use it in large pieces, as soon as you put pressure on it, It will crack!

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back