Does laminated glass reverberate?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
If having single glazing installed, the two main options are

a) 6.4 mm laminated glass
b) 4 mm toughened glass

My question is, due to the lamination of three layers, does the 6.4 mm laminated glass reverberate due to traffic noise?

Sponsored Links
everything has a resonant frequency.

Being thicker and heavier, the laminate will be better at deadening noise.

everything has a resonant frequency.

Being thicker and heavier, the laminate will be better at deadening noise.

Do you think though that the 6.4mm laminated would make noticeably more noise itself (due to reverberation of the three sheets against each other due to passing traffic) compared to 4mm toughened?

no

I recently had a glass door replaced with a laminated DG unit, and it is noticeably quieter. The three layers are very solidy bonded and do not move against each other.

I would expect the thicker, heavier glass to have a lower resonant frequency, though I don't know how to calculate or measure it.

I actually chose it for the burglar-resistant quality, but am pleased it is quieter.

Sponsored Links
As JohnD says , Laminate is very unlikely to resonate as the 3 individual layers are bonded, you have 3mm Glass, 0.4mm PVB interlayer, 3mm Glass. We use meths to melt the interlayer when we cut laminate, as it provides a cleaner cut ( and melts the exposed layer ) , however you can cut it with a stanley blade if careful...this just shows how tough the interlayer is, it is designed to keep the broken glass on the interlayer ( if it breaks ) , hence I think reverbation between the 3 componenet parts is unlikely

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back