40% housing sales tax ??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Labour has been reinforcing the possible dangers of relying on 'homes to provide pensions..' There has been a failure by ministers to deny that officials have been studying the possibility of imposing capital gains tax on housing if Labour is elected for a third term.
So the Treasury has to issue a denial ....mmmm? That leaves the way open for the Politicians then !!
Get those walletts ready folks, Butch Brown and Sundown Blair ride again ..

Times on homes
I bet they'll grab a lump of the house sooner or later.
:mad: :mad:

Sponsored Links
Nothing surprise me anymore, I'm wondering if they take into account of money spent on maintaining the property over the years to keep it in good shape or is it the difference of the value of your property when bought and the sold price?

Difference between bought and sold, being gains .. There will be a scale the tax diminishing over time .. I think !
ThisIsMoney link

ThisIsMoney said:
....Last week, Treasury Chief Secretary Paul Boateng refused to rule out the possibility of a capital gains tax on main homes. He was challenged in the Commons by Letwin's deputy, Tory frontbencher George Osborne, who asked: 'Will you give an assurance that capital gains tax on people's homes will not be one of the taxes that Labour increases, if it wins the Election?'
Boateng dodged the question and said: 'We will do what is right by the economy and we will keep our promises on tax.' Pressed further by Osborne to 'reassure home owners that capital gains tax will not be levied on their homes, and that no one in the Treasury is looking at that', Boateng again refused specifically to rule it out.
Osborne said: 'We have suspected for some time that the Treasury has been working on secret plans to introduce a bombshell tax on people's homes. Now we have the clearest indication yet that this is one of their ploys for clobbering people if they win the Election.
Capital gains tax is levied on main homes in Germany and France. However, more than seven out of ten British families own their own home, compared with one in two French citizens and just 40% in Germany.
In the UK, the collapse in pensions since Labour came to power has forced millions of people to rely on rising house prices as an alternative means of financing their retirement.

Assuming the Government applied the existing capital gains tax criteria, your exact liability would depend on your income, whether you had made any other capital gains during the year, and how long you had owned the property, as your liability begins to fall if you have owned it for more than three years.
However, many people would find themselves paying tax of 40% on the amount their home had increased in value, minus a small allowance, currently set at £8,200.
With a 40% tax rate, a house that had increased in value by £50,000 would incur capital gains tax of £16,720. An increase in value of £100,000 would cost £36,720 in tax, while a £200,000 increase in value would cost £76,720.

I give up, I think this will effect the property market and the economy if it goes ahead. When will this government stop bleeding us dry :?: I do think that this government is trying to grab more taxes until none of us can move and drag down to the EU level to became a superstate nation.

I paid £17,000 for my bungalow at the auction in 1981 which needed a lot of work doing to it. Have spent approximately £30,000 materails over the years and now has it value at £285,000 :!: So how could I sell up for the amount of tax I would have to pay :?: :evil:

Sponsored Links
dont think for one moment that the tories won't consider such a scheme if they get in or worse, there are lots of stories that go round come election time purpurtrated by all parties trying to discredit each other and most folks will see through these ruses.

If they did put a big tax on houses it would make it harder for people to move. Which would not do the economy any good at all.

Back