400w halide lamp tripping mcb

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,

Someone I know is having a problem with a bank of halide lamps tripping the mcbs.

There are 6 400w lamps, all on there own switches (6) feed from 6x 6amp mcbs. Feed on (what looks like 1.5mm) swa on single runs to each light.

All run from a star breaker with a rccb, this does not trip.

Randomly the mcbs trip when the lights are turned on one at a time from the switches. The mcb can be reset then work fine.

I don't know what type mcb they are.

What could be the problem? Could it be the start up current? Or faultly mcbs?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
turn them on in several different sequences to rule out the last one turned on is the problem

are you saying they are all on the same 6amp or separate 6amps each

turn them on in several different sequences to rule out the last one turned on is the problem

are you saying they are all on the same 6amp or separate 6amps each

separate 6 amp mcbs each.

when i was there with the guy when he was showning me, it did seem it was the same two that were going but he did say the others had gone too.

what type are the breakers?
and what type of light?
400W low bays or outside street lighting type? ( presumably internal if they have switch banks and not timers / dusk sensors )

they have gear trays in them that mean they draw a fair bit when switched on and striking, so if they are on B type breakers it might be too much for them..
change to C type and see if that helps..

to clarify for myself you have 6 lights, each with their own switch and their own breaker?

Sponsored Links
what type are the breakers?
and what type of light?
400W low bays or outside street lighting type? ( presumably internal if they have switch banks and not timers / dusk sensors )

they have gear trays in them that mean they draw a fair bit when switched on and striking, so if they are on B type breakers it might be too much for them..
change to C type and see if that helps..

to clarify for myself you have 6 lights, each with their own switch and their own breaker?

dont know the breakers, im guessing type b, i will check.

outdoors type, they are for a outdoor arena.

6 lights, each with there own breaker and light switch, they are switched off and on when needed.

thanks for your help.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back