40amp

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
No you cannot connect it to the shower pull switch. Not unless you fit the necessary accessories to fuse down from the 45 amp or more circuit of the shower supply to a 5 amp circuit for the fan.

It would be best connected to the lighting circuit and if you want it to operate when the shower is in use but the light is not on then use a humidity sensor to control the fan.

Hi Bernard,

Thanks for this info so far ( I just been googling for the same question as this )

I have a very similar question :
I have a 40amp circuit feeding the shower. Currently the extractor fan runs only when the light is on, as itts wired to that ciruict.

I want to amend the wiring, and get the fan to work when the shower is on.
I see above that you said that I`d need to 'fuse down to 5amps from 45amps' ?
Would I be correct in thinking that if I put a 5amp fused spur from the shower circuit, then connect the fan to that ?

Thanks

simon

Sponsored Links
Should not hi-jack posts

Best option would be to leave on the light circuit and add a humidity sensor to operate the fan. You would need a sensor with a change over contact to move the Switched Live into the fan away from the Switched Live from the lamp and onto Permanent Live. Otherwise the light will come on when the sensor turns the fan on.

Alternative to a change over sensor is a two pole light switch giving two separate Switched Lives to lights and fan.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back