Single phase supply--> 2 electric showers

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I recently installed a 2nd electric shower in my in laws house. There are now two 8.5kw showers installed. The supply fuse is rated at 60amps. Both showers running together would draw ~70amps.
To over come this, I installed a 40A 30ma RCD with a 40amp MCB. The output from the MCB I have connected to a 40amp DP contactor. The switch for this contactor is fed from a lighting circuit and consists of a 5amp pull cord switch beside shower #1. Depending on the wheter this switch is on or not, power will either go directly to shower #1 or to a DP 40amp pull cord switch to supply shower #2.
With this set up only one shower can be on at once and shower#1 has to be switched off before shower#2 can operate. This is a small in convenience, but I was wondering if it was okay to leave installation like this. Is it okay to use just one 40amp MCB ?

Sponsored Links
sounds generally ok just a couple of things to mention

1: i would have used 2 way switching on the contactor control cuircuit
2: you shouldn't be relying on the contactor as the local isolation for shower 1 both showers should have double pole isolating swiches either as pullcords in the bathroom or wall mounted near the bathroom

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back