electric shower replacement

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I intend to replace my existing electric shower ( 8.5kw ) with another of the same rating. The present installation uses 6mm cable running 8 metres. The cable is protected by a 32amp MCB.

As I am simply changing the shower unit only, will this installation still meet all regs?

If it is inadvisable to keep this installation will the following be correct for an 8.5kw shower.

8 metres of 10mm cable protected by a 40amp RCBO at the CU ( main switch 100A ) Wired to a wall mounted 45amp DP Switch located outside of the bathroom.

I know that a new installation will need to be done by a qualified sparky but I need to at least route the cable and do other prep work beforehand.

Sponsored Links
As I am simply changing the shower unit only, will this installation still meet all regs?
Depends on how the cable is installed - does it run through any sort of insulation anywhere?

And if the installation instructions for the shower specify an RCD then you'll need to add one of those.

If you can replace the cable then I'd advise that anyway, as then you can have a better shower.

Find your electrician first though, and have her specify the cable size and route etc - she'll be taking responsibility so she'll need to be in charge.

Thanks for your advice. The cable doesn't run through any form of insulation and is not bundled with any others. I guess I could keep the existing cable and change the MCB to a 32 amp RCBO?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back