electric requirements for shower

Oh don`t start that. I know it was brought in with the very best of intention but the £35 right to cancel thingy is an absolute nightmare for decent traders, especially on a fault finding exersize.

We were not consulted, it was just wheeled in

Sponsored Links
just had the electrician back after i threatened him to take him to the trading standards and he rushed back and fixed it. turned out he used the wrong isolation switch it was not the right ampage and got him to change the cable to a 6mm even though he is still saying the 2.5mm is fine. thanks a lot guys i really appreciate your help :) just happy got a working shower.

8.5kw electric shower
13amp fuse in that isololation switch
smileys_wtf.gif

im guessing it is the 2.5mm cable.
No, it's the fact that he used an FCU with a 13A fuse to supply an appliance which draws about 35A.

He is unbelievably incompetent - his knowledge is so abysmally lacking that to charge for his services borders on fraud.

Get TS involved - you may have to live without the shower until they have had a chance to inspect it, I'm afraid.

you may have to live without the shower until they have had a chance to inspect it, I'm afraid.

'living' being the correct word here..

im not a electrician but simple maths tell you 13amps and a 2.5mm2 cable is not good enough for 36 amps..!!

i guess his saving grace was a 13amp fuse..!

Sponsored Links
........as soon as you change the 13amp fuse in that isololation switch box....

If your electrician has fitted an FCU with a 13 Amp fuse, I'm wondering if he was expecting the plumber to install a 'power shower' (electric shower pump fed by gravity hot and cold water supplies) instead of an electrically heated shower fed by cold mains water supply.

Shower pumps have a much smaller power demand than heaters, They would be well within the capacity of a 2.5mm cable protected by a 13 Amp fuse.

The lack of any certification or LABC notification is still worrying.

Did he provide you with a certificate for the works done after his second visit? If not then he still hasnt fulfilled his juties!

Did you notice if he was a member of a scheme, i.e NICEIC, NAPIT, ELECSA?

where did you hear about this electrician or was he someone from down the pub?

Im wondering if Tickly T's theory is correct about him thinking he was fitting for the pump? Surelly no compitent electrician would fit an fcu for a shower :eek:

Regards.

Oh don`t start that. I know it was brought in with the very best of intention but the £35 right to cancel thingy is an absolute nightmare for decent traders, especially on a fault finding exersize.

We were not consulted, it was just wheeled in

It is no problem, get them to sign the waiver before you start :)

That is what TS said I have to do.

It is criminal law to ignore it, so we are stuck with it.

And it is very well policed, so unlike some building standards there is no avoiding it.

Martin

The OP said he got him from YP

Oh and nearly forgot - :You still need to get trading standards involved. The install is still prob not right. Plus how many a week of these is he doing, and how many of his customers are as sharp as you and know how to access knowhow or would even notice something wrong.

Is this a windup?

It must be. Is this spark registered here? You've been advised to not have him back and you still have. I really hope you've not paid him.

thanks a lot guys i really appreciate your help :) just happy got a working shower.
You have shower that switches on. And one that will either work for a very short period before burning out or one that will simply set fire to your house. I wonder which? :evil:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back