Old shower supply

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an old shower supply cable which I think is on a 10mm cable (could be 6mm) on a rcd - It all worked okay with a 8.5Kw shower until the bathroom was updated to a Mixer of the combi. The question is can the cable be 're-cycled' for supplying a double 13Amp socket (as a spur) Using a Fuse fitted to the end of the 10mm(6mm) prior to dropping to 2.5mm to the socket?

Sponsored Links
If it's 6mm² cable it should go into a decent socket without needing to be reduced in size.

If it's 10mm² then you'll struggle just as much to get it into an FCU as you would a socket anyway.

What rating is the fuse/MCB in the CU, and very importantly where do you want to put this socket?

My RCD is 40Amps, someone said that the cable to the socket should be 6mm but I wonder if that is correct as I understood that a 2.5mm to a spur ( 13Amp socket) was okay. Just to be safe I was thinking of doubling up with 2x 2.5mm to the socket as they go into the fittings as with a ring.

Might be an idea to confirm if the cable is 6 or 10 mm.

I take it it is twin and earth.

If the bare earth conductor is solid (not stranded), this would suggest 6 mm or less.

You could consider using a 32 amp mcb/rcbo at the mains, and continuing the wiring in the same size 'shower' cable to the socket, eliminating the need for a FCU. You would need an accessible junction box designed to accomodate 6 or 10 mm cable.

Or, you could fit a 16 or 20 amp mcb/rcbo at the mains and continue with 2.5 cable.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back