electric requirements for shower

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I am about to have an 8.5kw electric shower installed and hired an electrician to do all the electric work before calling the plumber.

The problem is the wire used from the main consumer unit is the correct cable which is 10mm and it is connected to an isolation switch but the cable from the islotaion switch leading to the shower he used a 2.5mm cable.

I read online that for an 8.5kw shower a 6mm cable must be used. Would the 2.5mm cable cover my shower warranty or do I need that to be changed to a 6mm.

Sponsored Links
I hope you did not pay the electrician.!!
If the circuit starts off in 10mm then it should continue in 10mm right through to the shower.

That 2.5mm² cable will fry if you use the shower.

He should be a member of one of the competency schemes. If so you can call his scheme and complain if he doesnt do it properly.
You should be able to find him on www.competentperson.co.uk

Did he give you and installation certificate?
Has he notified the local authority?
Is there an RCD in the circuit?
How do you know it is 2.5mm²??

Sponsored Links
just called the electrician and turns out that the 10mm cable from the main consumer unit to the isolation switch is 6mm but from the isolation switch to the shower is 2.5mm. He said that the 2.5mm cable is fine as it is only less then a meter away from the shower so it won't fry up and he knows what he is doing and all that crap. what do I do should I still get it changed. I found him in the yellow pages he was a local one near my flat.

No way is that 2.5mm cable acceptable. Your shower will draw over 35A depending on the voltage. 2.5mm cable is rated to handle about 25A. It doesn't even come close.

He's a fool.

I would personally tell him where to go and find a competant electrician which he's far from.

EDIT - I see he's already carried out the first fix. It needs replacing - no doubt about it.

What's the matter with the man? That would be like me installing a 100a cutout using a bit of 4mm street light cable instead of 35mm and saying 'oh, it's only a short distance from the main- it'll be ok'

(4mm is the next size down from 25 and 35mm service cables that we use)

:rolleyes:

Hi there

If you are still reading the replies, it would be really useful to know the answers to to the questions posed by ttc

Did he give you and installation certificate?
Has he notified the local authority?
Is there an RCD in the circuit?
How do you know it is 2.5mm²??

Because they basically cover legal requirements for the work done.

Please respond if you can be bothered to continue this thread, I personally am very curious as to how someone can go around doing work like this and getting away with it/or not.

Martin

he did not give me any certificate, did not alert the local authority and im a newbie at electrics haven't a clue what an rcd is :cry: and the reason why I know its an 2.5mm cable as he told me . plumber came and installed the shower with the 2.5mm cable coming from the isolation switch and the shower works for about 10 seconds and then no power.

as soon as you change the 13amp fuse in that isololation switch box it does the same thing works for about 10secs then doesn't work no power so im guessing it is the 2.5mm cable. going to try an get him back to chage it.

the 6mm cable from the main consumer unit was already there when i moved in it goes through the walls from downstairs and comes out the side of the toilet upstairs. on the 6mm cable he put an wall mounted isolation switch and to that switch he added the 2.5mm cable which is going through the wall and into the shower and yes i have paid him I had the electrics done before the plumbing side cost me a £100.

also when I rang him he keeps going on about he is the electrician not me so he knows more than me. any advice will help guys i really appreciate.

IMO anyone who runs 2.5mm for an electric shower is either incompetant or worse.

Do not pay him
Do not let him in your property again
Contact trading standards to inform them about him
If he is a member of one of the part P self certification schemes contact his scheme provider.

At some point you will probablly want to get another electrcian in to document the dangerous work and to complete the job safely.

I am a member of a trading standards scheme. They will help you.

BTW did he do the work on the same visit as he gave you the price for the work?

Martin

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back