Another 8.5kw shower question.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
For a 8.5kw shower I understand you have to have a DP isolator installed?

What do the current regs state?

Does is have to be in the same room as the shower?

Does it have to be a pull cord type

8.5kw shower using 10mm cable with 40a MCB - should the isolator be 45Amp?

Many Thanks

Sponsored Links
For a 8.5kw shower I understand you have to have a DP isolator installed?
For ANY shower you have to have an isolator installed.

What do the current regs state?
On this subject, the same as they have for at least 20 years.

Does is have to be in the same room as the shower?
Its preferable, but not nessecary. Its common to have a switch high on the wall outside the bathroom.

Does it have to be a pull cord type
If its within a certain distance of the shower, yes.

8.5kw shower using 10mm cable with 40a MCB - should the isolator be 45Amp?
It should be 40 amps or above.

Many Thanks
You're welcome ;)

Thanks - Can the switch be placed in a bathroom cupboard?

Placed in an accessible place

Using a double size isolator with a surface mount box - are there surface mount boxes out there where there are knock out at the top and bottom for the cable entry points?

Many Thanks

Yea, pattresses as they are called come with all forms of shapes and sizes.

I'd suggest buying a quality item as trying to fit 2x 10mm T&E cables into this will be hard to work with, nevermind trying to squeeze the front onto the box.

If you can sink the box on a stud or something, i would sink it a little too deep and get some big screws to give you a little bit more space to play with.

10mm dont bend too easily.

Sponsored Links
He is just planning his bathroom and would prefer a isolator on the wall, in the bathroom cupboard but sort of slight out of the way but must meet the regs.

His nan visits daily and will also use this bathroom - she is old and she would confuse it for a light switch which I know seems funny but as she is getting older she is finding thing harder to understand and is very forgetful if she pulls it and it don't turn the light off she will panic and phone the whole family for advice.

Planemad - you clearly need to learn a lot of things, and asking whatever questions happen to occur to you here is going to take forever - please adopt a more structured approach of studying some decent books on domestic installation practices and guides to the Wiring Regulations.

If you're asking these questions because you're actually in the throes of doing all these jobs please give it up now, before you mess up through not asking about something you don't realise you don't know or are mistaken about something you think you know.

Either wait until you've got a sound knowledge base, or get someone in who knows what they are doing.

Planemad - you clearly need to learn a lot of things, and asking whatever questions happen to occur to you here is going to take forever - please adopt a more structured approach of studying some decent books on domestic installation practices and guides to the Wiring Regulations.

If you're asking these questions because you're actually in the throes of doing all these jobs please give it up now, before you mess up through not asking about something you don't realise you don't know or are mistaken about something you think you know.

Either wait until you've got a sound knowledge base, or get someone in who knows what they are doing.

My friend who is getting this installation done is planning where thing are going in his bathroom before he starts building partition wall and running plumbing services.

I know how to run a shower correctly but will not do it due to the current regulations not allowing (unless BCO inspects).

He really wants to know about the isolator as he could maybe make a void for the cable in his partition wall.

Please accept my apology for the structure of the post, i'm just probing for information which maybe relevant and helpful.

PS don't get this confused with my other topics regarding my renovation of my property I'm fully sufficient and have had a full rewire done my shower comes stright from my Dual RCD box which is installed to the new 17th which was done by a sparky.

Thanks for the useful information

You can say that again.

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

What I would say is that if you ar surface-mounting and using 10mm² and the switch is hidden, then a 2G switch is good because it gives you more room for the conductors. Use a 46/7mm pattress. You'll need that depth anyway, but these will already have knock-outs for large cable sizes incorporated.

Something similar to this:

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/BG973.html

With one of these:

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/BG978.html

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back