Protec Shower CU

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone advise please,
I have fitted:
Triton t80Z shower 8.5kw, 6mm cable to 45amp pull cord switch 8m run to Protec shower consumer unit 40amp RCD & 40 MCB then .5metre of 6mm cable to old style MK type 2 consumer unit, cannot get MCB for this unit as discontinued so run 6mm cable from drain plugs (i saw this solution elsewhere on this forum).

as soon as i switch on the shower it trips RCD, i have checked all connections they are all tight and as they should be, I have changed the shower unit but still the same, triton adviser told me it could be imbalanced neutral on the RCD. Not really sure what this means.

Any help would be appreciated thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Not sure what you mean by "drain plugs", please can you post a photo?
They are probably correct in that you have done something wrong which is why the RCD is tripping. How is the 6mm installed?
I take it you know about part p? This is notifiable works.

Photo or two would be handy.
What were the test results you got when commissioning the circuit?
ie was insulation resistance compliant and is the RCD functioning correctly?

Drain plugs was a term used elsewhere not a term i know, but it referred to the conx to bussbar and neutral under mains switch on consumer unit. will post a photo later if it helps.
6mm cable is direct clipped to wall and runs though a short trunking carrying central heating pipes where it is in conduit.

Sponsored Links
Central HEATing pipes and electric cable in the same containment, do you think that is wise?
When you did your design calculations for the circuit, did you take in to consideration to route and method the cable was installed?

Drain plugs was a term used elsewhere not a term i know, but it referred to the conx to bussbar and neutral under mains switch on consumer unit. will post a photo later if it helps.
If I understand correctly, you're running the feed to the shower CU from the busbar of the CU, in which case that cable to the shower CU will be unprotected, other than by the electricity supplier's fuse. If so, that's not really acceptable, or safe, and certainly not compliant with the Wiring Regulations. I think you probably need the help of an electrician.

Kind Regards, John.

Surly the shower CU needs to be fed from a Henley with tails if the old CU doesn't support over 30 amps?

If I understand correctly, you're running the feed to the shower CU from the busbar of the CU, in which case that cable to the shower CU will be unprotected, other than by the electricity supplier's fuse. If so, that's not really acceptable, or safe, and certainly not compliant with the Wiring Regulations. I think you probably need the help of an electrician.

Kind Regards, John.

That's what I mean...!

Thanks john.

I think you probably need the help of an electrician.
There is absolutely no "probably" about it.

Cabbie - instead of opening up your CU to take a photograph, open it up to remove the dangerous connection you have made.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back