40mm Solvent Weld - Multifit adapters for connecting onto female fittings?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to replace a shower waste which has been solvent welded to the main pipework run. The main pipework is all boxed in: I have a short section of unboxed pipework that is all solvent welded.

The only section of this unboxed pipework that is a remotely standard size is the exterior of a solvent weld female fitting, so around 45mm in dia.

Does anyone know if there is some form of 'multifit' 40mm compression adapter that can fit onto the outside of this female solvent weld fitting, then go to 40mm?

thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Nope ... never seen one ... and I've seen a few :), why can't you just cut at the standard SW pipe and extend from there?

You may just get a compression fitting on it.

The only problem with using compression is getting them to seal over the where the manufacture moulds the sizes of the fittings. Better to cut and join the pipe.

Found something - Floplast universal coupling - Their part number is WF08. Allows 38mm - 45mm pipework to be connected together. Fingers crossed it works...

Sponsored Links
The only problem with using compression is getting them to seal over the where the manufacture moulds the sizes of the fittings. Better to cut and join the pipe.
Yup, the Floplast don't have the inner sleeve that McAlpine have ... as @just pumps mentions tho, watch out for the embossed fitting ID, you might want to use a bit of 180 and sand it flat or a wrap or 2 of PTFE tape over it.

Cheers. Flopast coupling is basically a rubber sleeve with two jubilee clips to secure, so the rubber should 'splurge' over the embossing that exists on the outside of the solvent weld fittings. Once its fitted, ill take a picture.

If it leaks, its right underneath the shower, so no problems keeping an eye on it or removing.

Ah ok, we know them as fernco/flexseal universal couplers. I guess Floplast do them now too.

Floplast also do compression fittings too, that's what you get in the big sheds usually.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back