50s bungalow understated rafter? but hold the test of time.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just been looking at the spans for a 50s bungalow.
according to the architects drawings
the 3x2 rafters at a
pitch of 37.5
span 2.55 between 7x1 ridge plate and purlin and
2.4 spans down to wall plate
with 400mm centres.
Obviously it works as it hasn't moved in 65 years and unfortunately trada dont go down to that size.. but is it me or is that excessively skinny?

Playing around with eurobeam using loads specified in trada. I'm getting failure of 26mm deflection or .01 the length!!
Maybe i need to check the actual dims but it's 250miles away!
Any thoughts ?

Sponsored Links
Ok.. so from further reading i see the allowable deflection varies considerably between type. however its still way over the L/125.

Thanks for your post.. I removed the section about 'not' getting up on the roof so that nobody else gets distracted by it and because it is irrelevant.
The question is 3x2 timbers at that pitch and span. Does that seem right?

Sponsored Links
The rafters are undersized, but the chance of the roof ever seeing the design imposed loads are minimal.
Also take into account the material factors of safety and this will go a long way to explaining why it's still standing after all these years.
They may well be deflecting more than is desirable but that is not going to cause any problems unless it is massively beyond the SLS limits.

Thanks for the confirmation that it was not me imagining they were undersized and that it is not (as has proved the test of time) going to collapse at the next heavy snow.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back