5w40 in a Rover 45 TD ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Had the car since 42k on the clock and it now has 90k.

Been using 10w40 all that time - the manual quotes 10w40 or 15w40.

A lot of the engine oil websites are now quoting 5w40 fully synthetic for the engine.
I live in NE England and at worst, probably -5C for morning starts.

Is 5w40 any advantage ? ............. my sister's VW Bora 1.9 TD uses 5w40 PD !

Sponsored Links
The thinner oil should make the engine easier to turn over when cold....its also fully synthetic whereas the 10/40 is more likely to be a semi synthetic.
I'd use it, personally - but i doubt if the driver would notice any difference! It should also suit the turbocharger better.
The PD oil is specifically for the Pumpe Deuse engine, where the camshaft has enormous shear loads when lifting its injectors as well as the valves.....I don't think this engine is in favour just now - it was always a bit smoky.
John :)

I wouldnt bother and stick with the 10/40 semi in that engine, as said the pd engine needs a very specific oil to deal with the loads involved.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
This is the pd stuff main dealers used to use and i would buy until i found some comma trade stuff at a local lds motor factors for less than £20.
I think they use the quantum longlife 5/30 throughout now as its backwards compatable but i tend to stick to the 5/40.
Millers are very high quality lubricants i would not hesitate to use but im too tight!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Quantum-P...317146?hash=item2a5cb9f4da:g:CKYAAOSwI-BWIRBS

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
I've noticed, with the exception of the 5w40 pd, that none of the manufacturers do a 5w40 specific for diesel engines where as they do for 10w40.

Well, food for thought (or perhaps oil for thought) !

I got the XFE 10w40 and a MANN brand oil filter yesterday so that's this time's oil change sorted.

I may look at Millers Trident 5w40 next time around.

Thanks for the reply postings folks.

Millers Trident is an excellent product......I've had cars in seriously overdue for an oil drop so that's what I use if I expect it to happen again.
John :)

I would put water in, it will blow up and you will have an excuse to buy a decent car.:sneaky:

I would put water in, it will blow up and you will have an excuse to buy a decent car.:sneaky:

I've had my 45 TD for 11 years and quite content with it apart from it being silver - I'd have preferred blue!

Its occurred to me that my nephew's 2002 reg 1200cc 8V Punto may well run with 5w40 full synthetic - 10w40 is quoted in the manual !

Have just done the oil change a couple of weeks ago. 10w40 Millers Trident and a Fram oil filter although I've read that Fram aren't liked much in general.

Last edited:
Much maligned, but very dependable cars, especially with the diesel engines. The K series could have been much better if a bit more thought and a few extra £ went into its design and development, sadly a long term fix for the infamous head gasket issues came about 10 years too late for MG-Rover....

I have a pair of 45 diesels, the second bought on the strength of the 1st, which, after 10.5 years, and 110K miles, is still a faithful workhorse. newer is now the weekend car, keep the older one for carrying all my work gear! One is blue, one is silver, best of both worlds. ;)

Mate of mine's had three of them now. Years and years worth. Apart from the head gasket on the first one he had, I don't think they have given him any serious bother.

Sponsored Links
Back