6ohm speakers on 100v line system using 4/8 ohm transformer.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have been tasked with installing 4x 6 ohm (10w) speakers to an existing 100v line public address system. The amplifier is rated at 240W and currently the load is 175W. Adding these speakers (4x 10W= 40W) will bring the load up to 215W, so within the limit. I have a few 100v transformers left from a different job. They have tapping at 5W 10W 20W, I will use the 10W tap for each speaker. But the issue I have is that on the secondary winding of the transformer, I can either connect the speaker to 4ohm or 8ohm. There is no option for 6 ohm, and I'm limited to using only these speakers.

Will I be OK using 4 ohm, or 8 ohm, or do I need to find a transformer to accommodate the 6 ohm load?

Be so grateful for anyone's thoughts on this.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Hi,

I have been tasked with installing 4x 6 ohm (10w) speakers to an existing 100v line public address system. The amplifier is rated at 240W and currently the load is 175W. Adding these speakers (4x 10W= 40W) will bring the load up to 215W, so within the limit. I have a few 100v transformers left from a different job. They have tapping at 5W 10W 20W, I will use the 10W tap for each speaker. But the issue I have is that on the secondary winding of the transformer, I can either connect the speaker to 4ohm or 8ohm. There is no option for 6 ohm, and I'm limited to using only these speakers.

Will I be OK using 4 ohm, or 8 ohm, or do I need to find a transformer to accommodate the 6 ohm load?

Be so grateful for anyone's thoughts on this.

Thanks!

I would try the 8 Ohm, it may over drive them a little, if it does, just add a 10w 2Ohm resistor in series.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back