7inch Flue Liner

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Morning all,
I have just bought a Portway Landscape 700 insert fire.
On recieving this fire which is fed by a 8mm pipe a gather hood came with it with a 7" outlet at the top, My gas fitter has taken out my old fire and revealed a 5" flue liner i have contacted portway and asked if a reducer was possible and they have stated that a 7" liner is requiured for this fire.
I dont mind putting down a 7" liner but i think it is quite essesive for a fire with a 8mm inlet.

Any advice would be welcome before i spend 600 quid on doing this liner.

Thanks for taking the time to read this
Mick

Sponsored Links
ADLPlumbing,
Thanks for your reply but the book that came with this fire is pretty useless to be honest it doesnt say what size flue is required, Thats one of the reasons im asking in case anyone has had a similar fire fitted,
i dont mind paying for this flue but i just thought i would check that it is needed before spending money on something that may not be needed.
Mick

mickflan";p="2186966 said:
Morning all,
I have just bought a Portway Landscape 700 insert fire.
mickflan";p="2186966 said:
Where did you buy this? PW is a stove only brand, and has been for some time. All PW models are sold under the Verine brand

On recieving this fire which is fed by a 8mm pipe a gather hood came with it with a 7" outlet at the top, My gas fitter has taken out my old fire and revealed a 5" flue liner i have contacted portway and asked if a reducer was possible

Your fitter PROBABLY did not adice you correctly. An existing liner an only be reused if you are confident it will last he lifetime of the new appliance. This is only possible if the liner nis fairly new, or you take it out to inspect.

and they have stated that a 7" liner is requiured for this fire.
I dont mind putting down a 7" liner but i think it is quite essesive for a fire with a 8mm inlet.

Why do you think you know more than the BFM techs?

Any advice would be welcome before i spend 600 quid on doing this liner.

Check the efficiency rating!

the book that came with this fire is pretty useless to be honest it doesnt say what size flue is required

I bet it does, but it may not be in a form you recognise. It may refer to cross sectional area, or a flue type category.

A general principle that a flue cannot be smaller than the connection.

Sponsored Links
7 Inch liner ,now that will be fun getting down a standard chimney.The air will be blue

Thanks for your replies,
I bought the fire as a ex display model from a shop that was closing down, the data on the fire is heat input 8.5kw,injector size 2.3mm, gas connection 8mm.
I dont proffess to know more that bfm techs but as you know its a bloke who reads from a piece of paper like many call centres lol.
I think this bit gives it away quote: the chimney flue should be of open type and have a minimum cross sectional dimension of not less than 175mm.
The 5" flue has only been in 3 years was put in when i had my other fire fitted.
is this gonna be a pain to get down i might just gid rid of the bloody thing.

Thanks for you comments .... Mick

I dont proffess to know more that bfm techs but as you know its a bloke who reads from a piece of paper like many call centres lol.

To be fair, (I hate BFM with a vengance, but on B2B grounds), but the tech you spoke to is NOT a call centre guy, they (and there is only, I think, three) are very knowledgable. But you were asking them to contradict the MI's, and he was reiterating those. This business can not allow a nod and a wink, as in the event of a problem, you would turn to them and say "but you said it is okay".

I am afraid that you bought the fire wihout checking it's suitability, and the seller was closing down, so doesn't care.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back