9 volt charger for digital radio going mental

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Please help... I'm going mental without my daily dose of rock n roll from my digi rad. I've got a lowry gs dab rad and the flimsy power adapter is kapput. I've spliced it goodness knows how many times that any more just aint feasible and the batteries last about half a day! its a 9volt 600ma

Sponsored Links
and what do you want from it? Buy a new one.

get a universal 9 volt adapter with the multiple plugs.....it doesnt have to be 600mA. Usually the universal ones are 1000mA. Dont forget the current stated is thr maximum the device can supply, not what will always come out of it. If the radio draws 400mA then on a 1A PSU it will still only draw 400mA

Three basic types of DC power supply.

1) regulation is only by the characteristics of the transformer so set to 9 volt output could be anywhere between 6 and 12 volt and often these also will produce some hum as not smoothed very well. As to if you can use this type depends on regulation inside the radio. They have a maximum output and can provide power up to this limit.

2) regulation is by some semi-conductor device often marketed as regulated power supplies still use a iron core transformer so heavy and again can give an output up to the maximum output.

3) switch mode regulation these are common as mobile phone chargers unlike the other two these have both a maximum and a minimum output. Very much lighter and more efficient than the other two they actually convert the AC to DC then back to AC at a high frequency then transform it to voltage required sample the output voltage and alter the mark/space ratio to adjust voltage. If you try and measure open circuit voltage often it appears that they are faulty as meter is not taking enough power for them to switch on. Because they use less copper although complex often very little difference in price.

Step one must be to read the specification of the radio. I have a radio which states voltage 9vdc - 15vdc and with that a simple power supply is OK as inside the radio there is a regulator. However without reading the spec it's just guess work.

Some switched mode power supplies can radiate RF energy that interferes with radio reception. Best avoided when powering a radio.

Sponsored Links
Cheers folks! The missus bought it for me as a pressie... so if I gerra new 1 and she notices she'll spit her dummy out "not looking after the pressies I bought for ya!" etc but spose thats wot happens when its rattling around the van with allo my other oddz n sodz! Of to ebay to source a replacement... thanks again!

I use my cordless impact driver 18v li-on batts on my dab. Looks great with 1.5 t&e between radio and batt. Saved me a fortune in size c Duracell as as you pointed out the wall warts the radios are supplied with don't last long. I never let potential customers see the set up though until I have won the work !!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back