A close run thing

ree

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm not a DIY'er & it wasn't a disaster but it was a close run thing:

A hillside timber frame house projecting out at the back over a steep slope.

I left some guys cutting out water damage and termite destruction to part of the rear supporting knee wall and bathroom floor. I went to pick up some materials and when i returned one glance made my stomach turn to water. The whole rear supporting framing and the cantilevered girders were gone - nothing was supporting the back of the house.

The crew were sat below their demolition job in the shade enjoying a coke and a smoke. Disaster quivered above them. It was averted, but why had they gone so wild? None could answer. Demolition fever? The building trade and sods law?

What the incident did prove however, was just how substantial timber framing is as a sound construction technique - hundreds of 16d nails (85mm) held the structure together in defiance of gravity. When i put a level on the rear joisting, it was dead level. Go figure? B

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Picturing this Ree I can't but help smile and think of Laurel and Hardy :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back