A Conundrum..

C

cmother1

Why is it that people going to supermarkets for a weekly shop reverse into what are not very generous parking spaces. An hour later you'll see them short-a*sing along between cars carrying armfuls of bags to their boots. You even see some mis-guided souls trying to get their trolleys down the gap to the back of the car. Is this why it's so easy to pick up scratches at a supermarket I wonder?
I know it's always easier to pull out of a space forwards, but for me this advantage is far outweighed by the convenience of having the boot pointing outwards.
What's the consensus on this burning issue?

Sponsored Links
Yeh, but driving forward into a parking space is quicker and therefore allows more shopping time.

Sponsored Links
and if they get lucky, the car in space behind them has gone and they have cracked it, no reversing needed.
But still a puzzle! why people reverse in to spaces when you need to load boot up after the shop?

A straw poll at our local Safebury's gave a roughly 50/50 split. Come on... someone out ther tell us why you reverse into the parking bay?? :confused:

A straw poll at our local Safebury's gave a roughly 50/50 split. Come on... someone out ther tell us why you reverse into the parking bay?? :confused:

Because I'm a man
and I can... :LOL:

Maybe the bays are bigger here in Cumbria (wetter but bigger) as I never have the problems mentioned. Unless of course a woman driver parks next to me and even pulling in for-wards, cant find the middle of the bay.

Nah - I'm not convinced by that one John. The vast majority of shoppers in our local supermarket are women so it's a safe bet that a lot of them are reversing into parking spaces.

(Oh and yes - the spaces are clearly smaller down here. The only smaller ones I've seen are at Gatwick long-term car-parks where you have to crawl out of the tailgate to exit the car.)

maybe they didnt reverse but drove forward into the space in front of the one they entered?

Excellent observation. That's what I do. Forward in and forward out. I'll walk the entire length of the car park if necessary.

For me if I see the space in time I will generally drive in to it but if the space jumps out then I tend to reverse - saves all the faffing.

I also enjoy the challenge of getting me car dead straight first time and only using mirrors (not turning my head round).
It's the only fun bit of the weekly shop :(

Got the good lady a new car, it has a sensor on each corner which flashes corresponding light on dash if she gets within 12" of anything. And a camera in boot lid which comes up on dash dvd when reversing. Bloody good picture as well. Given half a chance she would reverse everywhere now.
Hopefully won't be rebuilding the garden wall again, (3 times to date)

Sponsored Links
Back