A few apprenticeships

Reaction score
Country
Cook Islands
rare enough, but the batch for next year has now been advertised. And some trainee posts.

http://www.scottish-southern.co.uk/SSEinternet/PowerfulOpportunities/Public/DisplayJob.aspx?id=244
http://www.scottish-southern.co.uk/...portunities/Public/TrainingOpportunities.aspx
although the ad says they are in Southern England, they have some in Scotland and Northern England and Midlands when you burrow into the detail pages. I don't see any in Wales but there might be some.

p.s. They only take on one batch a year, and there is a cut-off date.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for that JohnD. I will pass on your info to S5 and S6 students tomorrow. And who knows, one of them might just get lucky. At the very least, it will let them see that there are jobs, including apprenticeships out there.

Joe-90, you surprise me. As a former Careers Master, I know how important apprenticeships can be. I only wish that I could be a fly on the wall when they count the application forms. Tomorrow, I intend to introduce a group of students to this Forum in general and to JohnD's post in particular. On this one occasion, can I ask you not to highjack the post? Please?

PS Sorry JohnD, I hope you don't mind my asking joe-90 to stick to the topic on this one. It isn't often that something comes up that can be of use in the classroom. The last time a similar thing occurred, one of my students was taken on as a trainee storeman and is now a linesman (if that's the correct term) in Southern Scotland.

Nothing to do with lack of grants to firms to take on apprentices stopping during Thatchers reign?

Bolo, we took on a 2nd year lad on,he went back to collage for 4 weeks started to bully the new lads, we were ask to remove him for a week that was the last we seen of him or had word from the collage :confused: :eek: he seem a real lad at the interviwe,so we have knock that :idea: on the head :( :mad:

Sponsored Links
Bolo, we took on a 2nd year lad on,he went back to collage for 4 weeks started to bully the new lads, we were ask to remove him for a week that was the last we seen of him or had word from the collage :confused: :eek: he seem a real lad at the interviwe,so we have knock that :idea: on the head :( :mad:

I know exactly where you're coming from. Sent out two of (what we thought) were our most reliable students on work experience. When they arrived at the firm they were told that the boss would be late and that they should just wait in his office. When the boss did arrive a few minutes later the boys were sitting smoking his cigarettes. They were sent back to school and I can tell you that the parents were not happy that their sons were the only two students in school to miss out on work experience.

i know a few stories like yours bolo, i have a few friends who have there own companys and they say the cost in wages is also a sticky issue as one week the kids are on pocket money the next week its over 100 and they foolishly think they are worth it :cry: they are not like the old school were you pay for your training with low wage's .i am all for min rates but they should appreciate what people are doing for them and that in the long run they will have a skill for life,:cool: even if they change direction later they will have something to fall back on, a lot of people will go on to start there own firm's ;)

do you think that we could get kids to sign a agreement that they stop with the firm for 5 years ,that would make them only 21,when they are finish, but they should have all the qualification to see them true life :cry: but only go on full money when the pass all the certs, say start on £60 with a rise of 33% each year. ;)

do you think that we could get kids to sign a agreement that they stop with the firm for 5 years ,that would make them only 21,when they are finish, but they should have all the qualification to see them true life :cry: but only go on full money when the pass all the certs, say start on £60 with a rise of 33% each year. ;)

Idea sounds OK but is fraught with dangers. There would have to be escape clauses on both sides! What if the employer is an out and out bully or the employee turns out to be a lazy good-for-nothing?

Sponsored Links
Back