A few pointers on wood burner installation....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Okay, we're going for our installation this Sunday. We've had a pre-fit visit from the building inspector and he's happy with hearth etc so we're going to actually install this Sunday. i If there are any fitters here who can give any tips on the following we'd be very grateful!

(BTW, my brother is a builder and we're determined to do it properly with LABC approval and we do have a few brain cells between us. As we do the job it should be apparent but before we start we just want to clear a few things in our heads!)

My Charnwood Country 4 has to be 3" from the rear wall in the fireplace recess. In order to achieve this without the stove pipe fouling the fireplace lintel inside the chimney, we've had to buy two 30° angled joins in order to shunt the stove forward a bit and allow the clearance to the rear of the stove whilst allowing the stove pipe to extend into the chimney breast without fouling it. My query is though can i do away with the 500mm stove pipe and just allow the two 30° joints and then the expanding collar that connects to the flexible flue or do i need the two angled joints, a straight piece of stove pipe and then the expanding joint to flexy liner? Can i do away with the 500mm section?

Next query is when connecting it all together:
Obviously the liner is over measured to allow for some shortening to the correct length. When we've worked it down the chimney stack, we'll need to cut to length and then connect it all together. As it's a tight fit up our stack and the pipe collar will be at more than arms length inside the breast, do you connect the flexy liner to the collar with appropriate fire rope and cement etc, in the fireplace and then push it up adding the other pipes working downward to the stove as you go? I know that sounds a bit double dutch but i think i've put the gist across. What i mean is that with everything in situ, it's too far to reach up and stuff the fire rope and fire cement into the collar. I'm planning to do that in the lounge where i can reach it and then gently work it up into the chimney breast adding the two 30° joints below it as i go thus reaching the stove.
As for connecting it all together, Fire cement. Do you smear a fair old bit of fire cement on both the connecting ends to the pipes and will this still keep it's seal when i'm pushing it back up into the chimney breast? And lastly (i think) With the spigot end seated in the stove and the expanding collar sitting inside the stove pipe, what's the best way to achieve the seal between the collar and the stove pipe. Presently the collar section sits within the vitreous section IE: the vitreous pipe overlaps the downmost part of the expanding collar. Do i jam some fire rope between the two sections and plenty of cement (i'm trying to keep the flue as smooth as possible internally and i'm worried that stuffing too much cement might compromise it)
Lastly, do you connect from stove up, finishing by fixing the hanging cowl onto the chimney pot? I just need a clear method of doing it i suppose (bloody hell, this makes me sound like a right wuckfit, i promise you we're not but we're not professional stove fitters either)!!

I think this is clear (as mud) but if anyone can offer any tips/solutions to any of my queries i'd be very grateful!! Ta, RD.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back