A friend needs help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi guys a friend of mine has a bit of a dilemma he wants to fit french doors in replacement of his upvc window the problem is the appareture is 1300mm x 2400 whilst the width of 1300mm is spot on he cannot find a door that is 2400mm high the closest one he has found is 2090 could he overcome this problem without having to fork out for a made to measure door cheers guys
I told him you guys on here would help him.
thanks hoggy :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
Change the height of the opening.

would Bricks be ok, wouldn't they?
4x 65 mm bricks, plus 5 x 10mm cement beading = 310

Sponsored Links
If he has a foot to fill then a simple timber frame and some kingspan would cover the space, all boarded over with some upvc panelling - tongue and groove or some facia board. I wouldn't like to put some bricks on a plastic frame. Any metal work to support the timber will need some kind of calculation in my limited experience.

All this mucking around leads me to the conclusion that a made to measure door will be the most economical especially since the top stile(???) needs to be securely fixed into something unmovable.

he has decided the solutions would be to have a made to measure window to fit in the space above the door.
he will need to explain at point of purchase his requirements and the need for a 'coupler' and 'face' drainage.
The glass will also have to be toughened or some other form of safety glass.
he will be looking to pay £60-£100 for a non opening window depending where you shop and how much time you have to play the companies off each other.
he will Leave a tolerance of 10mm when measuring as not all apertures are square. the the doors he has seen are EXACTLY the same width as the measure from brick to brick he should be ok as the frames usually have 'webs' that can be cut down by approx. 4mm each side. sorted.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back