A new roof tilled. Just 2 questions

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This last week, we have had the full roof re-tilled.
After three quotes, differing between £3500 compleete, too £900 labour only. I took the labour only, as I was not working, I purchased the materials. The whole job, which was, re-felt and battons, re-tile, also new facia bords and gutters. the full job cost a totall of £1997. which we feel was a good result. it looks perfect, and we are more than happy.
the questions are. When laying the tile, he did not nail them in place. Also he laid them on top and in line. What I mean is the roof took 14 tile accross, on the first row he started with a full tile, the second row I expected him to cut half a tile and start, then at the other end lay the half tile! But no, he laid a full tile on top of the last. Could any roofer tell me if this is general practise?

Sponsored Links
some concrete interlocking tiles cannot be bonded, the have to be laid in-line,(Marley Wessex, Anglia plus) simply by design.

i do prefer to see Marley Moderns bonded though.

so, as far as weathertight integrity is concerned then in-line is ok.

they weren't plain tiles were they? :eek:

try and remove an un-nailed tile and see how much force is required to shift the bu**er. ;)

Thank you. the tiles are Marley double roman slate grey. As I have said it looks a perfect Job, and we are more than satisfied. especially now, after what you have stated. Thanks again.

Tiles are nailed or not nailed according to exposure and height etc. Low level exposure or height only need perimeters and eaves nailed as a minimum. As you go up the exposure table you nail more until you are nailing everything including your feet to the roof :LOL:

As Noseall says ..Double Roman = Plumb Bond

Alex

Sponsored Links
When ever we were ever questioned about nailing, the normal convo went as followed,Site agent; 'roofer you know these tiles are meant to be nailed every third course!' Roofer; 'Third course! i thought it was every third house!'
Only kidding of course. :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back