A pricey beverage?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
184 year-old champagne opened and drunk!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7954876.stm

They also cracked open vintages from 1846, 1848 and 1874. Helluva party, and I'll bet not one drop ended up on the carpet :eek:

I'm usually a "s*d the glasses, just bring me a straw" kinda guy when ordering wine, and seldom spend more than a fiver on a bottle of red unless it's a special occasion. But it's good to see super-old wine actually getting drunk rather than just being traded as an investment. And if I was there I would definitely have tried them all!

The oldest wine I remember drinking was I think a 15-year-old Chateauneuf du Pape, which isn't very old at all in the world of wine. But it was very nice, definitely far better than any of the £15 supermarket vintages I've had. Although a wine-snob friend assures me that simply having known the taste of C-d-P means I'm a pleb. :confused: :LOL: :LOL:

What's the oldest wine you drank, and did you enjoy the experience? How was the wine?

Sponsored Links
my dad bought 3 bottles of port off some guy at work when my brother was born..
he's 40 now...

it was 10 years old at the time..
the first was drunk at his christening, the second at his 21'st birthday, the third bottle is mine when I want it... It was supposed to be for my 21'st but I went away to relatives in Greece for my birthday some 12 years ago....

Would probably have been unpleasant if not vinegar, Champagne doesn't last all that long.

That kind of longevity is reserved for Clarets, Madeiras etc.

Sponsored Links
Back