A quick question about rad sizes.....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need a new radiator in a room which has had the old one removed due to having work done in the room.

The window in the room is 1.8mm wide. Having used a number of rad sizing calculators on the internet they all come up with pretty much the same figure for the size of room I have (including all the additional info like floor types, window size etc etc).

My question is though, looking for a suitable single panel rad with the same Btu output they are all small in comparison to the window.

In other words having a radiator that matches the window width gives way too much heat output.

In order to the suggested heat output I would need a narrower rad of say 1200mm or 1400mm if its 500mm high.

What effect to the system would using an 1800mm rad have which had 1000 more Btu's output?

I guess this is a bad idea?

The only reason I looked for a rad that was the same width as the window is for aesthetic reasons.

???

Sponsored Links
1. The rad should be balanced anyway.
2. It should have a trv, there fore it doesn't matter if it is 300% too large.
3. On steamers, the bigger the better anyway.

Be aware that if you go for a single-panel radiator, you'll maximise the heat loss through the external wall. If the radiator is over-sized, use reflective foil behind the radiator to reduce radiator output and heat lost through the wall.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back