Aaargh - leaking stopcock

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Old house. Fitting new bathroom. No valves anywhere so figure I may as well install them.

Find rising main. Locate secondary stop cock isolating main as it heads upstairs. Taps stop. Direct system. Great. Ready isolators.

But secondary stop cock starts to leak from tap. A lot.

Locate main stop cock in house. Turn it. Thankfully doesn't leak.

Open all taps upstairs and down. Behave as expected (empty water then stop). Blow and huff and puff a lot to try and clear system. Secondary cock still leaking. Not as much, but still leaking.

Looked around header tank. All seemed normal. Wait. Still leaking. Wait some more. Still leaking.

Why is it still leaking? Only a drip every minute, but why?

And I notice the house is fed from lead pipes... :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
If that's where it's leaking from, undo it, wind some ptfe tape around the spindle behind the nut and retighten.

Sponsored Links
Not sure what to call it. Where the tap 'shaft' enters the body of the stopcock. Scared to tighten it in case it gets worse. It's pretty ancient.

May replace the thing wholesale tomorrow. But given I've isolated below and cleared out above, I can't fathom out why it's STILL leaking. Must just be the remainder in the pipes.

The spindle may well be all scaled up. Use a thin strip of sandpaper or summat to clean it off first.

Well - it worked. Feel properly stupid now. It's not exactly a difficult fix is it - but if you don't know, you don't know.

Many thanks to you all. That's what this forum should be for.

Now - does anyone know how to free a gate valve thats simply spinning rather than turning...?

If the shaft is spinning freely then it is sheared internally and needs replacing.

If the handle is just spinning on the shaft then you need some WD40 and a firking big pair of pliers.

And some luck.

Well - it worked. Feel properly stupid now. It's not exactly a difficult fix is it - but if you don't know, you don't know.

Many thanks to you all. That's what this forum should be for.

Now - does anyone know how to free a gate valve thats simply spinning rather than turning...?

Good o..!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back