Correct me if I am wrong - but

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to cut into the cold water supply to my ensuite tap to change a leaking compression joint and move the hot/cold supply pipes forward into a new false wall. The cold water tap must be connected to the rising main as when I turn the main stop cock off under the kitchen sink this isolates the water. Given this, I only need turn off this stop cock and not drain the cold water storage tank in the loft do I?

I realise that the pipes will still be full of water when I remove the comp joint so will leak until the water in the pipes is clear.

Sponsored Links
Yes, just turn off your stopcock. If you open all of your cold taps, this will allow the water in the pipes to drain down to the level of the lowest tap.

You'll need to turn the hot off too though. If there's no isolation valve anywhere you might still end up draining the tank :(

Sponsored Links
You'll need to turn the hot off too though. If there's no isolation valve anywhere you might still end up draining the tank :(

I was going to turn off the stop cock on cold water supply to the bottom of the hot water cylinder to isolate the hot.

Thanks

After you have turned off the stopcock and drained your cold taps leave them open and run the hot tap for a couple of minutes, this will open the ballvalve in the loft and allow the water in the feed pipe to drain back down. Have fun!

Thank you.

Just one other question. Stop cock is off, cold water taps have been drained (although very little water came out) and I have run the hot tap.

How do I remove the olive when I remove the compression joint. I need to change the nut on one of the pipes as it looks like the wrong type and the joint is weaping.

The olive will be crushed onto the pipe. How do I remove to get the nut off?

If you are moving the pipe anyway can you not just cut the pipe before the existing fitting and go from there?

If you are moving the pipe anyway can you not just cut the pipe before the existing fitting and go from there?

Yes I will have to. I know why the joint was weaping ever so slightly, the pipe was not kinked a little (end of pipe was not circular, had a small flat spot), guessing this was causing the leak.

Just so I know for future anyway, what is the best method for removing an olive?

a Dremel or similar hand tool with a little cutting wheel will also do it

The dremel with the cutting wheel do not work in practice like the adverts!

I think they must cut cheese for the adverts not metal!

Tony

it works for me :confused:

nice soft copper olives.

Just so I know for future anyway, what is the best method for removing an olive?
Olive removal tool. Worth every penny if you have many to remove.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back