Lead Stopcock HELP!!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Last week I had a dripping tap in the kitchen, I got my son to turn off the water at the stop cock behind the cupboard under the sink. as he turned it, it sheared away from the lead rising main pipe. Q: Is it possible to freeze the rising main, with mains pressure cold water gushing in? :cry:

Sponsored Links
Yes, but not while the water is gushing - it would be more natural to turn all taps off and then freeze the pipe.

Alternatively, turn off the water at the street service valve. If you don't fancy trying to replace the existing stop cock, just fit a new one after the old one, and never touch the old one again.

thanks softus,
that is what I thought, it was just that my local council have just replaced all the pavements outside our property and when I went to turn off the supply from our metered stop valve, it was full of sand and cement and I had to call the fire service to unblock it to turn off the supply.
It is some JOBSWORTH at the council said any reputable plumber would have been able to freeze the raising main inside to stop the flood damage in our kitchen and hallway
:)

Bet he didn't offer to pay for the reputable plumber to do this work for you. Hope you told him that there is only one cock that needs stopping in this carry on.

Sponsored Links
MICK58 said:
It is some JOBSWORTH at the council said any reputable plumber would have been able to freeze the raising main inside to stop the flood damage in our kitchen and hallway
:)
Perhaps you should point out (a) that he is not a plumber, (b) that he doesn't know what he's talking about, and (c) that any reputable council ought to be able to do work on the pavement without an act of negligance, i.e. blocking access to the water company's service valve.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back