ABS broken?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all this is my first post so I hope it is in the right section.

Today me and my friend were out in his car. It was raining quite heavily and we were coming around a roundabout when he had to emergency stop because some cock cut over two lanes, straight in front of us. Anyway when he had the brake pedal to the floor he noticed it went into an unsteered skid, although thankfully only for a second or two since we were at low speed and stopped pretty quick.

He doesn't know THAT much about cars so just brushed it off but I was a bit worried because the car has ABS, and it seemed to me as if it didn't work.

Anyway we found a big empty car park and I jumped out to watch while he got some speed up and then performed an emergency stop so I could see whether or not the system was working. He was doing about 40 and he slammed the brake pedal, the front two wheels locked up almost instantly and the car skidded a foot or two before they unlocked and the ABS started doing its thing. And then, even when it was opening and closing the valves on the brake circuit, it wasn't doing it as fast as I expected it to have been doing.

Should I recommend he goes to get it checked at a garage, or is this normal for older cars (it's a Cavalier, N reg).

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
i had this same situation on my 1996 vw polo when i almost ran over a dog that flew across the road in front of me.

i put it down to the abs being there, but not being very good at its job (aka old model).

as my new 2003 civic fires the abs even on medium braking.

Back