AC/DC Adaptor - Extend cable

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a samsung soundbar which has a "brick" style ac/dc adapter (see image 1).

The soundbar is mounted on a stud wall (see image 2) just below the TV. I want to hide all the wiring in the wall. As you'll see from image 2, the plug sockets are close to the TV, these are going to be moved left towards the corner so they're out of view.

Becuase of the distance of the plug socket to the soundbar, I will need to extend the AC/DC adapter, but the end which needs to be extended is the end which goes into the soundbar (see image 3). does anyone know a clean way to extend these? I'm hoping for something like a male/female connector or something like that, but haven't had much luck online.

Sponsored Links
Why can't you get a longer mains cable?

Also - please take a look at this: //www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:walls

Basically if the cables supplying the sockets drop vertically down the wall it will be a major job to move the sockets - the wall will have to be opened up and the cables re-routed. If they run up from under the floor them it's not as much work to the wall, but the floor will have to come up.

Only if the cables run horizontally will you be able to simply shorten or extend them.

I had the same problem although
product_thumb.php
these are easy to get the one you show which is the same as used with my PC seem to be rather rare.

Although I had a power supply of correct voltage and amperage I had to buy a new one to get the correct plug on the end.

Having in the past tried to cut and solder these leads I realise that is not really an option often the cable has stuff in the cores which make it near impossible to solder.

There are special wireless TV's not really wireless it still has a mains cable but that is all the box which connects to sky speakers etc is remote from TV.

I had decided on buying my new TV to wall mount and bought a bracket with that idea but I am worse than you with wires for blu-ray, DVD recorder, sky box, and hi-fi most SCART so loads of cables. When I measured old TV unit the TV just fitted so we abandoned using wall bracket and went to old TV unit simply because of cables.

Spiral wrap
2063588-40.jpg
can help but mains, DC, and RF cables held together can cause problems. In hind sight I should have bought a projector and screen but her in draws would not allow me to have one.

Eric - any ideas where I can buy the connector from? I may try maplin.

banallsheds - not sure how the power socket wiring is as the wall and sockets were light this when i bought the house. the previous owner was a builder and a bit of a cowboy so I'm fairly positive he's cut corners.

Sponsored Links
Having in the past tried to cut and solder these leads I realise that is not really an option often the cable has stuff in the cores which make it near impossible to solder.
Hmm, can't say i've ever had that problem with DC power cables.

There is this horrible stuff called "tinsel wire" that you run across from time to time which really is near impossible to solder because the cores disintegrate under the heat of the soldering iron but i've only ever seen it used for signal cable not power.

If you are thinking of getting a suitable DC extension be aware that there are several different types of plug, some with different pin diameters and some with different shield sizes. All in there are probably at least 2 dozen different types.

I'm new to this forum, signed up when I finally found someone who had similar problems. I have the same problem with my Samsung Hw-750 Soundbar.
Have you come up with any solutions?

Tried to determine the barrel connector, think it is an EIAJ-05 standard, but hard to measure the correct dimensions for the connector.

Male connectors are more common than female connectors for cable.

Any suggestions

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back