Acceptable Brick Tolerance for Drystone Limestone Wall Courses

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

EDIT - Title should say Dry Stack, not Dry Stone.

I hope someone can advise.

I have purchased 2 tonnes of black limestone walling, and have divided it into its respective course sizes. These will be dry stacked around a breeze block wall and back filled/back mortared.

IMG_2149.JPG

Each slab in pic above is holding one set of sizes - 66mm & 67mm on one slab, 68mm & 69mm on the next slab...etc...all the way up to 90mm.

You can see that there is a large variation in brick quantity for each size (the biggest pile is 80mm & 81mm, with the immediate sizes above and below being the next largest stacks).

So, my question is, how much difference in brick size can I get away with laying in a single course (up to7 linear meters in some places)?

As things stand, there are not enough linear meters in uniform size to complete the wall I need to create.

Can I get away with 2mm difference in brick size in the same course, 4mm...6mm...etc?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back