Accoustic insulation inside chimney.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello there.
I'm looking to stop some noise transfer from my neighbours house into mine.
He has put his tv and sound bar in cased on his chimney breast.
I can handle a bit of tv/music noise but for some reason the sound is more of a droning noise that is just so annoying.
I stick my ear to the breast and I'm sure the void of his chimney and mine is causing this.
Both chimneys are not used anymore.
Can I fill the void in the chimney with Accoustic insulation?
Cheers

Sponsored Links
Tricky one, im not sure where you stand from a regs perspective but acoustically, may be to do with standing waves have a read, sometimes it's just how his bass is resonating into your room, indeed the chimney cavity could be allowing the resonance almost like a bass port into your room too, however i am not convinced packing this with wadding would stop it much, low frequencies as you may be aware are far less direction sensitive (ie which way the speaker is facing) they resonate well through solid objects.

If it is just midrange or higher then perhaps that is directly related to air resonance and therefore some sort of share in chimney drafting between your home and theirs?! Which would make sense for mid to higher frequency to be heard.

Otherwise you need to build a sound proofed stud wall acoustic wadding, soundbloc plasterboard etc..

There are many websites out there selling many sound proofing products but fck me, if he has a sound bar speakers and quite possibly a sub too right up against the party wall, it doesn't bode well, apart from going round there and asking him to put everything on the opposing wall and keeping the bass clipped etc.. hmm.

Thanks for your reply.
I think it's difintetly coming from there surround sound. I was really brave and got my wife to mention it to his wife lol
After texting back and forth they turned it off to see and the droning stopped. But obviously he doesn't really want to do this. They are trying to Change settings etc but as of yet, we haven't come to a conclusion and the issue is still there.
I am still thinking of sound proofing the breast and alcoves with this product.
https://www.noisestopsystems.co.uk/shop/walls/noisestop-acoustic-panel/
Do you know this product?
It's new to me, will be a pain in the arse to do, but I feel I have to do something.
Regarding what I mentioned in the first message, I was more worried about ventilation issues with putting accoustic insulation roll in the breast?
Cheers

Sponsored Links
Back