Widening builders opening

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

I'm opening up a chimney breast so a hob can be installed inside. I need to open up by around 800mm.

The chimney breast is 1600mm wide, so my original plan was to install a 1200 lintel at the height I need, and then remove the single leaf brick facade from below, to create a 800mm opening.

The complication is that the actual chimney breast for the original fire is inside this chimney breast and it's only 600mm wide.

I spoke to a builder mate and he said that I can install the lintel as required. And then once the single facade is removed underneath, I can remove the smaller chimney breast that's inside beneath this. He said that as the side wall bricks for this breast are mortared to the front and back of the breast and only 20cm deep, that they will stay in place once the bricks below are removed.

I generally trust his judgement but he's a generalist, so wanted to get a second opinion before I proceed. I've attached some photos for more clarity. One photo shoes the whole thing, and the other where the lintel will be installed. You can see the void on one side and then the bricks for the inner chimney breast.

(Edit, have upload another image showing where the lintel will be placed and the inner chimney breast)

Cheers,

Alex

Attachments

• IMG_2944.JPG
    IMG_2944.JPG
    150 KB · Views: 347
  • IMG_2943.JPG
    IMG_2943.JPG
    191.1 KB · Views: 268
  • IMG_2949.JPG
    IMG_2949.JPG
    185.2 KB · Views: 275
Last edited:
Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back