Opening up chimney breast.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

I've recently opened up a chimney breast, and installed a lintel to support it. However this revealed an internal brick partition which separates the flue for my fire from the one for the basement below.

Is it okay to remove this partition up to the height of the lintel? I can tell that it's attached to the front and back of the chimney breast all the way up, so I should be able to remove the bottom of it which out it all falling down. I've attached photos for info.

Ta,

Alex

Attachments

• IMG_2964.JPG
    IMG_2964.JPG
    123 KB · Views: 159
Sponsored Links
Okay Alex, I first need to ask why you've opened up the chimney so high, and what you're hoping to achieve. You'd normally have put the lintel at the height where the chimney peels off to the right. The partition you're talking about will be tied in to the back wall, so it won't be a straight forward task to take it out.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back