Opening up chimney breast

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone,

I've started on removing the open fire in my 60s bungalow. The plan at the moment is to just open up the chimney breast. I may have a wood burner fitted at a later date, I don't know yet.

I've removed the bricks up to the concrete lintel and I want to make the opening wider, but the obstacle at the moment is the two columns of bricks inside the breast that form the flue.

From what I can tell they not tied to the surrounding bricks, which means they're only supported by the bricks they're currently sat on - so far has been bits a brick thrown in and surrounded with mortar.

Does anyone have any experience with opening up a chimney breast and know if it's save to remove these two columns of bricks up the height of the lintel, without the chimney falling down on me?

Thanks
Art

IMG_20200811_171324.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20200811_171324.jpg
    IMG_20200811_171324.jpg
    547.8 KB · Views: 383
Sponsored Links
The “gather” ie the corbelled/flue bit is normally tied to the breast in my experience, if you need to knock some of it out, you can use little “W” lintels going front to back of the chimney breast to take each side, bearing onto the front lintel

just take out the bricks you mention. nothing should fall down.
read the related threads below to understand a bit more.

take it brick by brick until you can see more of the structure, and stop if anything starts to collapse.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your replies.

I had read a few of the other posts, and also watched a few videos. I have now removed the two columns in question up to two courses below the lintel, where they are sat on some slate tiles that are embedded into the wall (I'm not sure there are bearing any great load though.)

I did want to widen the opening too. I tried googling the W lintel that 23vc mentioned, which led me to this post on these forums and looks like it's exactly what I'm trying to achieve, so helps me quite a bit!

Cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back