Accumulator tank and Heat Genius

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
If one were to have installed a Heat Genius z-wave automated heating system (thermostat, boiler control, thermometers/motion sensors and electronic remote control TRVs) on an ordinary modern system with a gas combination boiler, then later add solar thermal panels and/or a solid fuel stove with water heating using an accumulator tank, would there be any particular difficulty in continuing to use the Heat Genius system with the revised system? In particular, how would an accumulator tank system fed by systems not under electronic control fit in with the Heat Genius thermometer (if at all)?

Sponsored Links
Most electronic devices don't integrate with basic solid fuel appliances and don't need too.

Most electronic devices don't integrate with basic solid fuel appliances and don't need too.

Ahh, yes, that does make sense. How would the Z Wave controlled electronic switch for the gas boiler interact with an accumulator tank system with multiple heat sources? Indeed, how would an ordinary thermostatic switch for a gas boiler interact with such a system?

When you have solar or sf installed then you need heat dumps operational.

If you have genie valves holding radiators shut then that presents a problem.
I always say forget about electronics when renewables are concerned and go for simplicity.

When I fitted my stove last year the simplest way I could think off integrating the hydronics was separate heat emitters. Works fine.

Sponsored Links
Thank you: that is helpful.

When you have solar or sf installed then you need heat dumps operational.

If you have genie valves holding radiators shut then that presents a problem.

Does this mean that there needs to be one radiator somewhere that has a manual valve and is always on, as in a conventional installation, or is something more required?

I always say forget about electronics when renewables are concerned and go for simplicity.

When I fitted my stove last year the simplest way I could think off integrating the hydronics was separate heat emitters. Works fine.

Does this mean that there is no way to have remote controlled and/or zoned heating in any system with solar and/or solid fuel, even if gas heating is often also used?

With a solid fuel stove the system will have a separate heat leak radiator fitted in most cases.
In my case I just added a couple more that are pumped. The heat leak has no valves fitted and is piped direct but instead just one avta thermostatic control valve fitted which works well.

With a large accumulator that can absorb excess energy then your genie controls can probably be implemented.
But I expect when the heat dumping occurs the sensors will be sending all the wrong information back to the controller.

So the next heating schedule from the boiler for example may be under heating the space big time.

Ahh, I see, thank you. The Heat Genius system has individual remote controlled TRVs for each radiator, which link to the master controller, which, in turn, links to the boiler switch. I think that, if one of the radiators had a manual valve instead of a TRV and was putting out a lot of heat in times of excess production, this should not cause underheating elsewhere, as the room thermostats in the other rooms would register the lower temperature. However, what is less clear is whether the system will erroneously tell the gas boiler to run when there is plenty of heat in the accumulator tank from other sources, or do other similar peculiar things that it ought not to be doing.

However, what is less clear is whether the system will erroneously tell the gas boiler to run when there is plenty of heat in the accumulator tank from other sources, or do other similar peculiar things that it ought not to be doing.

Apparently the system does not send the wrong message to the boiler. For instance, if you open the window, the the system will sense a drop in the temperature and it will turn off the radiator valve, so you won't waste heat. You can also monitor all the activity from the app.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back