Achieving U-Value for extension with wall shared with garage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am building an extension to my house that used to be a porch attached to the garage. According to buildings regs. then I need to achieve a U-Value of 0.35W/m2K and therefore need to insulate the single brick leaf section. (Part of the wall already contains a cavity section.) There are several ways that I can see of doing this but I would appreciate some input or recommendations:

1. Use an external wall cladding on the inside of the garage such as Rockwool Rockshield or Knauf equivalent (however I am unsure of the cost of this options so any input is greatly appreciated.)

2. Build an insulated studded wall section on the inside of the garage containing a vapour barrier and a damp proof course

Building control will not let me build an insulated wall using block work since they cannot see the foundations it would sit on. (Given that most of the wall is a cavity wall then I would expect the foundations are wide and deep enough but they will not budge.)

Building control suggested building a vapour barrier, etc on the inside of the hallway but I am keen to not reduce the internal floor space given there is so much space in the garage.

Could anyone suggest any other ways of doing this or give me input the on the suggested two options, i.e. likely cost of external cladding or how best to build a insulated studded wall containing a vapour barrier. (I have seen suggestions of how to do this on the forum but these are appropriate if building the wall on the inside of the hallway.)

Sponsored Links
Span a lintel across and build off that for your insulated cavity wall

Insulated timber frame, with vapour check and plasterboard on the garage side

I'm not sure what building control are on about with their idea of a vapour barrier on the hall side of the wall

I insulated most of our outside walls with dry wall dot&dab. If you have the room to do a cavity you can add 100mm dry wall - celotex or Kingspan. I am sure that would be approved by BC.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back